lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
ArmyVeteran
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need a cheap battery substitute.

My wife uses her EZGO 48 Volt cart to help with her gardening/landscaping work. When she uses it, it is barely run for a total of an hour a day if that. The most use it gets is when she takes our Rottie for a ride around the 3.3 acres. My point is that the battery capacity is over kill.

It has the original batteries over 10 years old. They are going bad. 3 of the batteries are not holding a charge for long and the cart has trouble going up minor grades.

So, not wanting to spend $1000 plus on new batteries. Do we have any alternatives? Not interested in tracking down used batteries.
Is using 4 deep cell 12 volt batteries a possibility??

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need a cheap battery substitute.

I take it the cart has a 6X8V battery pack.
If range or runtime isn't an issue, check out the prices on the economy grade 8V deep cycle batteries in the big box stores, auto parts stores, farm supplies, etc.

The economy grade 8V batteries typically have fewer AH, so they won'y have as much range or runtime.

As for using 4x12V, 48V is 48V. Question is, will they fit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
My wife uses her EZGO 48 Volt cart to help with her gardening/landscaping work. When she uses it, it is barely run for a total of an hour a day if that. The most use it gets is when she takes our Rottie for a ride around the 3.3 acres. My point is that the battery capacity is over kill.

It has the original batteries over 10 years old. They are going bad. 3 of the batteries are not holding a charge for long and the cart has trouble going up minor grades.

So, not wanting to spend $1000 plus on new batteries. Do we have any alternatives? Not interested in tracking down used batteries.

$1,000 plus? What are they, gold plated?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I second Luke's question...

A look see at my local CostCo (Central Texas) was $99 each *v Exides..

Sam's Club 96
Local Golf shop Trojan t-875's...$ 116 ea..

And Yes to your 4x12v Auto or Trolling motor batteries... life cycle has been the issue for folks I know that have tried them....

Please look around a little more, I think you are getting taken...
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

I found it pays to call around for batteries. The price varied wildly here in central MS. I wound up buying 6 US2200's for $680.00 ($113 ea) not including tax and one core charge of $20. $750 out the door. 8 volt batteries were the same price. Saw an advertisement on Craigslist for Trojan T105's in Houma Louisiana for $99 each. I would have jumped on them if not 3 1/2 hours away. They were between $130 and $140 around here. Core charge also varied from$20 to $28 dollars.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Victor B
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post

Sam's Club has Golf cart batteries. 6V for $89.88 and 8V for 106.88
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can get a set of 8 V PowerTrons- for $550 out the door with a year and a half warranty.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just bought a set of T875s for $99 (wholesale)
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
ArmyVeteran
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone for the replies and information.

I checked all the recommendations and what was locally available. My eyes are blurry haha

We went with the SAMs Club Duracell for $106 +. Still more than we wanted to spend. But they work well. After working my back ughhh. Sucks to get old.

After installing and testing, I came up with another question?

The charger that came with the EZ-Go. Are they smart enough to charge batteries of different capacities?? Or will that become an issue for longevity?

I see chargers advertised that have "PULSE" mode that supposedly enhances battery life and can fix problems. Hmmm.......snake oil maybe

Thanks again everyone!

Have fun.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Which charger do you have? Most batteries use a profile similar to Trojan batteries, and most chargers come set for Trojan batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO