lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
t.white.55
Not Yet Wild

Default plugging lithium charger into golf cart

I have a 2016 EZGO, with 2018 lithium batteries. I was told that there is a certain process for charging these batteries. (ex. turn on charger then plug into cart or plug into cart then turn on charger)

Is there a certain process to follow for charging lithium batteries, if so, which is the correct way? Thanks in advance.
t.white.55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: plugging lithium charger into golf cart

Normally you would turn on the charger then plug it in. It helps prevent high current flowing back into the charger as the output capacitors will already be pre-charged.

You can also turn the charger on for a few seconds to pre-charge the capacitors, turn it off, connect it up then turn it back on.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Normally you would turn on the charger then plug it in. It helps prevent high current flowing back into the charger as the output capacitors will already be pre-charged.

You can also turn the charger on for a few seconds to pre-charge the capacitors, turn it off, connect it up then turn it back on.
Pat,

If the charger is onboard and permanently connected to the lithium battery, you should just need to plug it in. Is this correct?
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It is important that the charger is designed to be connected when not powered - but I think most are because SH$T happens and you can lose power while the charger is plugged in. I am sure that some instructions would recommend that you turn on the charger before connecting it to the battery. That is the process that I follow but I don't have my charger mounted in the cart.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

@Tom,

That is correct. If the charger is permanently connected then the capacitors in the charger will always remain charged.

The problem we’re trying to eliminate here is connecting the charger with 0v on the output capacitors directly to the battery. That will cause a large spark as huge currents flow to instantly charge the capacitors. Turning the charger on first will pre-charge the output capacitors, bringing them to near battery voltage. Then, no spark and minimal current will flow when making the connection to the battery.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
@Tom,

That is correct. If the charger is permanently connected then the capacitors in the charger will always remain charged.

The problem we’re trying to eliminate here is connecting the charger with 0v on the output capacitors directly to the battery. That will cause a large spark as huge currents flow to instantly charge the capacitors. Turning the charger on first will pre-charge the output capacitors, bringing them to near battery voltage. Then, no spark and minimal current will flow when making the connection to the battery.

Cheers
Pat.
Thank you, Pat!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, ezgo, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO