lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
BLOCK-CARVER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Drive clutch thread size?

What size threads are in the clutch for the clutch puller???

7/16-20 does not seem to want to go in!

Thanks!
BLOCK-CARVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
imjman57
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Drive clutch thread size?

7/16 - 20 ( fine thread ) bolt should work you might need to get a tap to clean thefirst couple of threads on the clutch, if someone uses the tool to seperate the clutch they push in the first couple of threads. had to do the same thing on my 93 carryall, be careful not to cross-thread
imjman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
BLOCK-CARVER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response!

Starting to think it may be metric?? M12-1.75.......
Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
BLOCK-CARVER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update to my drive clutch removal.

Finally got it to come off.

For those that want to fore-go the purchase of the clutch puller....learn from others....best bet, buy the tool. But, here is what I have learned;

First tried a length of 1/4" round bar. It bent. Next, I tried a 1/4" drill bit cut to length. It bent. I was lucky and did not get either stuck. I went slow and checked progress as I went.

Third try, I used a 1/4" drive socket extension with the female end cut off.The length ended up about 5 5/8" long. I used a 7/16-20 bolt to thread into the Clutch to pull it off with a "little help", not much pressure, from a 2 x 4(worried about further stripping threads).

I do not believe the threads in my clutch were 7/16-20. I had to re-thread it with a tap prior to getting it off due to some stripping. So, mine will now have 7/16-20 threads.

My best guess is they may be M12-1.25. Not sure about that since I have had to re-thread.

Another note, the 1/4" extension was a little too tight for the threads on the engine output shaft. After putting some torque on the homemade puller, I could not pull the extension back out prior to the clutch removal. When the clutch came off the shaft I had to use some needle nose pliers in the gap between the clutch and shaft to coax it out. It did come out with ease and without much fight and did not damage the threads.

The extension measured 3/8" diameter, so 5/16" diameter in the output shaft would fit great. I measured the depth of the output shaft and it measured 1 3/8" deep.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Spend the money, buy the tool! I was lucky and did not get anything stuck.
(Edit; I also have a machine shop at my disposal incase something did go wrong!)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Good deal!

I got all my parts back from Tom at CPP Monday. I will be installing them this weekend hopefully. I got the severe duty belt, driven clutch machined and power spring installed, Drive clutch was rebuilt and 200 RPM spring installed. I am excited to see how she performs now!!

Let me know how yours turns out...
drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
BLOCK-CARVER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Drew,

Thanks for the encouragement along the way!

I had a package waiting from Tom at lunch. Just installed the 200 RPM spring in the drive clutch. Got the same package as you did from CPP. Look forward to getting it installed this evening. I am excited as well!

I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
BLOCK-CARVER
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update on clutches.

Got everything put back together last night. That severe duty belt is tight! Watch the fingers!!

Took it out for a road test around the neighborhood. First impression was that I had lost some top speed. But, after a few minutes it seemed to be back where it was prior to the clutch machining and new clutch springs. Guess the new belts and springs need some break-in.

As far as pulling, I was not able to test that in a situation where I could tell any real difference.

That severe duty belt does make some whining noise, but I did have the rear access cover off so I am sure it was louder than it will be with it installed.

Looking forward to getting it off road to test the hill climbing!!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the update
drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
aggiefan
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Any more updates? I've been mulling doing this for a while and would like to know if it's worth the hassle and money. Would also like to know how it affected top end speed. Thanks
aggiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefan View Post
Any more updates? I've been mulling doing this for a while and would like to know if it's worth the hassle and money. Would also like to know how it affected top end speed. Thanks
I did mine and it had no noticable effect on top end speed on my 1987 Club Car DS gas. I GPSed my cart at 22mph before and after. Didn't notice much difference on the low end either...on flat ground. The real difference was in hill climbing ability. Before the mods I was unable to climb certain hills. Afterwards, I still have yet to find a hill the cart won't climb. So if you're hoping for tire-spinning performance or drag-racing-style takeoffs, don't bother. The real difference will be felt in relatively slower-speed situations where extra torque is needed, like hauling extra passengers or climbing hills.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car