lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Added New Steering Wheel ... How do I adjust Alignment?

Ooops, sorry ess. Didn't see your post until after. His way works too.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
skymast
Not Yet Wild

i seem to be going around in circles. I can get the alignment right (assuming you to this by adjusting the tie roads) but the steering wheel is off center or I can get the steering wheel straight but the alignment is off. Thoughts?
skymast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymast View Post
i seem to be going around in circles. I can get the alignment right (assuming you to this by adjusting the tie roads) but the steering wheel is off center or I can get the steering wheel straight but the alignment is off. Thoughts?
Did you read what Kg, Scooter, and I said to do?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymast View Post
OK, for now forget the wheel. Spin the wheel all the way to one lock, counting turns spin to the other lock. Now come half way back. Use this as your center to get the alignment fixed so you can drive straight with the correct toe in. Once you have done this pull the wheel with hub and put it back on centered without the nut. Drive it, if is straight your golden, if not pull it and move it a couple of splines until it is. Once you are happy, tighten the nut.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
skymast
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
OK, for now forget the wheel. Spin the wheel all the way to one lock, counting turns spin to the other lock. Now come half way back. Use this as your center to get the alignment fixed so you can drive straight with the correct toe in. Once you have done this pull the wheel with hub and put it back on centered without the nut. Drive it, if is straight your golden, if not pull it and move it a couple of splines until it is. Once you are happy, tighten the nut.
Thanks for your response. I am trying to figure out what you are saying. My issue (seems to be that) i can't get the appropriate center on the steering wheel. As it its, no matter what adjustment i do on the steering wheel it ends up being about 45 degrees of to the left or right. thx
Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Sky, get your alignment right, dont worry about the streering wheel right now. Once your alignment is right, turn your steering wheel from as far as you can turn it to the right, to as far as you can turn it to the left, count the number of times you turn one full revolution from right to left. Now split that number and bring the steering wheel back to half the total number of full revolutions, that should be your center. Remove the steering wheel and put it back on so it is centered correctly!
Dont tighten the nut yet, drive it a little and make sure it is centered, if not, you should be within one or two clicks on the spline to center. just remove the steering wheel and tweak it in either direction to get it centered.

Your problem is with how the steering wheel is installed, not with your alignment.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
skymast
Not Yet Wild

i think the issue with the precedent is that you don't have a huge amount of splines .... there are basically 6 splines and none of them get me to where i need to be ....
Old 10-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Skymast you are exactly right, the Precedent hub hooks to a 6 sided shaft. On on flat side of the shaft you are 15 degrees off and removing hub and rotating it to next flat side of shaft puts you 15 degrees off the other way. Drove me nuts trying to install my new ForeverSharpe steering wheel. Finally pulled hub and drilled 3 new holes where I needed them to be for wheel to be straight and reinstalled. Works great now. Love the steering wheel but it was surely more than a six pack job, especialy since I had to install a column cover because the hub they sell for the precedent leaves a 3/4" gap between hub and column. Hope this helps
aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

OK, my bad.. I was thinking EZGo style which has like 30? Round two. Get the alignment right an get close with the wheel. Now the tricky part. Figure out which way you need to turn to get it right and adjust both tie rods the same amount. except one gets longer, one gets shorter. You may loose a little in turning radius on one side but not sure.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
skymast
Not Yet Wild

ok. that worked. Thx!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car