lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 8.5" rack and pinion????

Anybody running a 8.5" slim line rack and pinion? I recieved mine today, to go on my ez go and it dosent appear to turn sharp enough. If you are, can you give me some info before I send it back?
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 8.5" rack and pinion????

what do you mean by it doesnt turn sharp enough? you mean it doesnt turn the wheels enough? if thats the case you may have to shorten your arm thats on the knuckle so that it will shorten the ratio.
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yes, It dosent turn the wheels sharp enough, although I havent been able to drive it yet, I dont see how shortining the arms would make a difference, if you shorten the arms you would have to make the tie rod longer, in result the turning ratio on the rack would be the same
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
turboaz2
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs27 View Post
yes, It dosent turn the wheels sharp enough, although I havent been able to drive it yet, I dont see how shortining the arms would make a difference, if you shorten the arms you would have to make the tie rod longer, in result the turning ratio on the rack would be the same

The arm on the knuckle/spindle.

If you shorten it, then it has to move a shorter distance for the same degree of turn in the wheels.

The tie rod shouldn't have to be any longer.

Take a pencil or a piece of dowel rod about 5" long, hold one end of it with the tip pointing at the ceiling and swing it left to right in an arc. Then cut the pencil/dowel in half and do the same thing.

The pencil will move a greater distance through the arc for a given input when it is shorter.

This gives you a faster steering ratio. So, for the same input at the steering wheel you get a greater degree of turn at the wheel.

Drive it first then make up your mind.
turboaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

thanks turbo for explaining that...saved me the typing
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
kellys~hotrods
Gone to refill cooler...

Yamaha

I am running an off road HD sand car rack (center load) and for my build it was neccessary to drill holes for the tie rod ends on the spindle arm closer to the center line of the spindle to achieve the turning radius I was after. Careful consideration must be taken when doing this though. First, the coil over shocks and tires were removed from the suspension with the cart on jack stands. This enabled me to cycle the suspension through its travel and check for any steering or clearance issues. Having the HD rack with adjustable stops made the final adjustments a bit easier for me. Just take your time and check that everything will work propperly before drilling the new holes.

Kelly
kellys~hotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts