lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
spankbirch
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Battery runs down.

Hi !!! My gas G1's battery runs down after about 10 rounds of golf. I charge it up and it's good for another 10. I suspect the brushes in the starter generator are bad and need replaced. Are my suspicions correct and how tough of a job is that to do?? Thanks for any help. Mike
spankbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Battery runs down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankbirch View Post
Hi !!! My gas G1's battery runs down after about 10 rounds of golf. I charge it up and it's good for another 10. I suspect the brushes in the starter generator are bad and need replaced. Are my suspicions correct and how tough of a job is that to do?? Thanks for any help. Mike
Brushes only make the starter turn over, if they were bad, cart would mostlikley not start. In the feild of the starter are the charge windings. Unplug the red and green wires (taht come out of the starter) and check the Ohm's , Should be 5 ohms. Put a volt meter on the battery and (jack up the back end of the cart) and rev it up, the voltage should increase to 14.5 to 15.5 volts. If not and the red/green wire test was good, you have a wireing or voltage regulator problem. Let us know what you find.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
spankbirch
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much. I'll check it out in the next few days and post the results. Mike
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
mvparcar
Getting Wild

Columbia

i have a similar problem let me know how it turn out and if you get it fixed. a mech. who camps across from me said he thinks my diods on the starter got fried, ive done some creative wiring.
mvparcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
auto
Not Yet Wild

Ground the center term. at the voltage reg. Do this just as a test as it will cause it to over charge. If the voltage rises above 13.2 or so it is charging - replace the reg.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
spankbirch
Not Yet Wild

What two terminals should I read the voltage at (sounds like the battery??) after I ground the center terminal of the VR? I should get to this this weekend I hope. Thanks- Mike
Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lift the rear end and block your wheels. For this test, put your voltmeter leads across the battery. With everything off you should read battery voltage (12.5V nominal). Ground the terminal as mentioned, start the engine and rev it up a bit. The voltage should quickly rise to 13.2V or more if the system is working. Do not do this for very long, you are forcing the generator to maximum output. If the voltage rises, you need a voltage regulator. If it doesn't, you need to look elsewhere. Have you tested your battery to make sure it is good?
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
spankbirch
Not Yet Wild

OK. I jacked it up & put a volt meter across the two battery terminals. When I revved up the motor it went from 12.5 volts to 15.5 volts so I assume it's charging. I cleaned the connections on the battery and the voltage regulator just to be sure. Looks to me that I may have a bad battery that won't hold much of a charge. Sound right to you guys? Thanks -Mike
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
OK. I jacked it up & put a volt meter across the two battery terminals. When I revved up the motor it went from 12.5 volts to 15.5 volts so I assume it's charging. I cleaned the connections on the battery and the voltage regulator just to be sure. Looks to me that I may have a bad battery that won't hold much of a charge. Sound right to you guys? Thanks -Mike
Your charging system is working fine. Batteries don't last for ever, sounds like the battery to me. Good job on testing the system.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
auto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Was this with or without the term grounded? If this was with the term grounded "15.5" is saying the gen itself and wiring are good. 15.5 is too high if it is without the term grounded indicating the reg. contacts are welded to each other in the full field position. With the term not grounded the voltage should start as batt. voltage (12.6) and rise with engine rpm to mid 13's but not over 14.5. If it does not rise at all ungrounded the reg is bad.
ps. It is never a bad idea to have the batt. tested at your local auto parts store.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha