lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Default Extended Shackles

I have a 95 Electric Club Car, and was wondering if anyone has tried extended rear spring shackles to get a slight lift in the back, instead of HD spring packs?
This works well in the world of 4X4 trucks, and I need a slight boost for carring people on the back.
Good opinions please.
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Extended Shackles

Should work never did it on GC, putting HD springs on mine now. Last ones I bought for a car was like $6.00 when replaced a broken spring. They should work on a GC too.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

YEp. Works okay..... You know, same springs? Higher up
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

increasing torque to the rear end sounds like a good thing .this is what raising the rear does.
of all the 4x4 i ever had since about 1966,i have never modified what the Ford engineers designed.i fail to see the advantage of a "California rake" in 4x4s.i agree it works for 2 wheel drive as far as increasing the torque in the rear end.if i had a nickel for every "modified" 4x4 i have pulled from the wash or the river or the mud etc; i would be the "Donald".just an opinion.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dock98 View Post
increasing torque to the rear end sounds like a good thing .this is what raising the rear does.
of all the 4x4 i ever had since about 1966,i have never modified what the Ford engineers designed.i fail to see the advantage of a "California rake" in 4x4s.i agree it works for 2 wheel drive as far as increasing the torque in the rear end.if i had a nickel for every "modified" 4x4 i have pulled from the wash or the river or the mud etc; i would be the "Donald".just an opinion.
I think the "boost" he was talking of needing was a clearance issue with the extra weight on the rear while carrying people.
As far as torque increase from raising the shackles, how does that happen?? Torque is a HP and gear ratio issue, how does raising the rear by adding extended shackles add torque...me confused
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
J&M Golf Carts
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
I think the "boost" he was talking of needing was a clearance issue with the extra weight on the rear while carrying people.
As far as torque increase from raising the shackles, how does that happen?? Torque is a HP and gear ratio issue, how does raising the rear by adding extended shackles add torque...me confused
You are correct as far as torque being related to HP and gearing. The longer shackles used for years on older cars/drag cars was to allow for larger tires to be used at the track as well as to equal out weight transfer leaving the line. I do not see this as beneficial on a golf cart for torque purposes, but it would allow more clearance.

If it would increase torque on cars or golfcarts, we would all be riding around with shackled up vehicles!
J&M Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M Golf Carts View Post
You are correct as far as torque being related to HP and gearing. The longer shackles used for years on older cars/drag cars was to allow for larger tires to be used at the track as well as to equal out weight transfer leaving the line. I do not see this as beneficial on a golf cart for torque purposes, but it would allow more clearance.

If it would increase torque on cars or golfcarts, we would all be riding around with shackled up vehicles!
I was doing my Columbo style of questioning there
I agree 100%
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bus just put the HD springs on the 95 I have raised the rear end, not real hard made a differance on how it drops on loaded rear seat. Hardest part was getting the old bolts out, PB blaster helps.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Be sure your shocks are long enough, you may need extenders.
Remember.....Bottomed out at 6" of clearance is the same as bottomed out a 12" (as far as my butt meter reads!) Good springs, shocks prevent a lot of stress to transaxle and personal components, ya' know! Just an opinion.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
Be sure your shocks are long enough, you may need extenders.
Remember.....Bottomed out at 6" of clearance is the same as bottomed out a 12" (as far as my butt meter reads!) Good springs, shocks prevent a lot of stress to transaxle and personal components, ya' know! Just an opinion.
To extend shocks get a bolt to bolt connector (3/8" fine thread), then use a bolt 1 1/2 long put into it. Gives about 1/2 each way.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car