lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Stopping Power

My 1999 EZGo TXT Series goes approximately 18mph, and the stopping power sucks. Being I plan on making it street legal, and taking it out on the roads, as well as increase the speed to about 25-30mph, I need to upgrade the brake system. Has anyone did the rear disc brake modification from ScottyB and did you notice a significant difference (worth the cost/time of the upgrade) Also, if anyone has done this, can you please tell me how fast your cart goes, and your opinion on the stopping power with these breaks?

BTW- My cart has the 6" spindle lift on it from Jakes, hopefully that doesn't matter.

I am hoping to avoid upgrading to a four disc, hydraulic system....

As always, thank you all.

-Ken
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stopping Power

Hi Ken.....there are a number of guys here that have disc brakes......they can/will chime in. but for me, seeing as where I am at, EVERYTHING is flat....when I did my cart build/upgrade, I just replaced the shoes, and adjusted them properly......and I can stop on a dime, with enough pressure on the pedal. as you can see in my sig, my top steed is 27 mph.....and if needed, I can LOCK THEM UP if the need presents itself.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Hi Ken.....there are a number of guys here that have disc brakes......they can/will chime in. but for me, seeing as where I am at, EVERYTHING is flat....when I did my cart build/upgrade, I just replaced the shoes, and adjusted them properly......and I can stop on a dime, with enough pressure on the pedal. as you can see in my sig, my top steed is 27 mph.....and if needed, I can LOCK THEM UP if the need presents itself.
This is good news, thanks Sir Nuke. The more line items I can cross of the build list, the more money I save, and the less **** I catch from the Mrs....

Would you mind posting some pics of your setup?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

but you need to remember..... where I'm at its TOTALLY flat.....and rarely is there more than one person in the cart with me.....usually just me.....and I am just in my neighborhood, not out in the real world (TRAFFIC)..... just keep that in mind. but if your end result is only in the 25 mph range you should be ok.....but at the 30 or better.....I would seriously think about Disc's and or even 4 wheel.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
but you need to remember..... where I'm at its TOTALLY flat.....and rarely is there more than one person in the cart with me.....usually just me.....and I am just in my neighborhood, not out in the real world (TRAFFIC)..... just keep that in mind. but if your end result is only in the 25 mph range you should be ok.....but at the 30 or better.....I would seriously think about Disc's and or even 4 wheel.
All good points. I live in Florida, so the flatness is the only thing we share in common, being the cart will be loaded with 4 people, and I will be in traffic (although it is a straight shot to the beach, with two lights and a bridge. I'll make some adjustments, check the condition of the shoes, and if I'm not happy, I'll do the disc upgrade.

Thank you.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

IMHO, with hauling 4 people,,,,and you didn't say if all of these were adults, but let's assume they are. Now, let me also assume that we "average" all of their weight, including yours together at 200-lbs each. So, you now have 800-lbs of people, plus likely some gear (I'm thinking a cooler of "soft drinks" ) and other stuff. So...say 850-lbs.

If your zipping along at 30-mph, that's a pretty good rate. Now, a panic stop and just relying on your drum brakes......I suppose you could....but, I live in Southwestern Pa. where hills are hills (like 30-degrees) and mountains are real.....like you can't honestly climb 'em. When I first got my hunting cart ten years ago, I would attempt to stop my cart on downhills. And it was just attempt. I would travel at least 30 feet from the time my brake peddle hit the floor to the time I stopped. Most times, it would take longer. Scary stuff!!!

Then I had a set of Jakes front hydraulic disc brakes installed. Yes, the rear drums were left on....(cable) and then I could go down the steepest hill and I could stop in about ten feet. What a huge difference.

So.....if you like the security of stopping, get front disc brakes. IMHO, worth every dime.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
IMHO, with hauling 4 people,,,,and you didn't say if all of these were adults, but let's assume they are. Now, let me also assume that we "average" all of their weight, including yours together at 200-lbs each. So, you now have 800-lbs of people, plus likely some gear (I'm thinking a cooler of "soft drinks" ) and other stuff. So...say 850-lbs.

If your zipping along at 30-mph, that's a pretty good rate. Now, a panic stop and just relying on your drum brakes......I suppose you could....but, I live in Southwestern Pa. where hills are hills (like 30-degrees) and mountains are real.....like you can't honestly climb 'em. When I first got my hunting cart ten years ago, I would attempt to stop my cart on downhills. And it was just attempt. I would travel at least 30 feet from the time my brake peddle hit the floor to the time I stopped. Most times, it would take longer. Scary stuff!!!

Then I had a set of Jakes front hydraulic disc brakes installed. Yes, the rear drums were left on....(cable) and then I could go down the steepest hill and I could stop in about ten feet. What a huge difference.

So.....if you like the security of stopping, get front disc brakes. IMHO, worth every dime.

Dave
Dave, did you install the front discs yourself? How was it?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post

Dave
Looked into jakes front disc kit, and it says it's only compatible with the newer style. Am I correct that I have the old style, being there aren't the six holes mentioned that distinguishes them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (151.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The six holes would be pointing out, toward your hub & wheel. They could not be seen from this picture angle.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Gotcha, sounds like I need to take the tire off to see, for some reason I thought they'd be through holes.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO