lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Rack and Pinion

I'm building a custom kart using my 2006 EZGO TXT as the donor. I'm doing a right hand drive build which requires me to place the rack and pinion in the front. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so it has been a learning experience the entire way.

I'm looking for ideas on how to setup the rack and pinion. I'm including a few pictures. Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181031_182919.jpg (15.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181021_132808.jpg (13.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181021_132349.jpg (15.1 KB, 0 views)
gotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Rack and Pinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotti View Post
I'm building a custom kart using my 2006 EZGO TXT as the donor. I'm doing a right hand drive build which requires me to place the rack and pinion in the front. This is my first attempt at anything like this, so it has been a learning experience the entire way.

I'm looking for ideas on how to setup the rack and pinion. I'm including a few pictures. Any help will be appreciated.
I put my rack behind the spindle axis -- used a Polaris blem rack unit I got on ebay. Very good quality for the price. Was able to use a degree angle finder to set the camber and caster - 2.5 degrees camber - 4.0 degrees caster. These are starting settings. How do you find the correct Ackermen angle with the spindle arms in the front? Very important in hi-speed operation.
Your doing a great job with your control arms, mine are simple, looks like your using air bags.
When you make your steering column be sure you keep the u-joints lined up and timed so there's no hard spots in the steering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5926.JPG (235.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5932.JPG (235.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5921.JPG (233.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5895.JPG (235.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5910.JPG (235.5 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input. How does extending the spindle arms and adding the spacer affect the movement? I have to run my rack up front because I'm flipping it due to the right hand drive, so I'm thinking about extending the arms coming off the spindles and adding spacers.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
How do you find the correct Ackermen angle with the spindle arms in the front? Very important in hi-speed operation.
Your doing a great job with your control arms, mine are simple, looks like your using air bags.
There was a lot of trial and error getting the control arms right. I made them too long to start with and slowly started cutting them down until they worked the way I needed them too. I'm actually working on getting the correct angle for the bottom and top bag plates now. This is another reason I'm trying to get ideas on the rack and pinion, so I can figure out how much room I have to work with.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I ordered a different rack and pinion setup. I believe that this will fix my problem.

https://www.dansperformanceparts.com...nion-each.html

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

This is the unit I got. When I ordered I wasn't expecting much for the price -- I was amazed with the quality. If it is going to show the one you've got sure is pretty. Pricey too. I love billet made parts. Mine is hid underneath - functionality is most important for me. With a 17 inch steering wheel it's like power steering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEERING-GE...frcectupt=true
Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The one I have now is very similar to the one you have. You can see it in my picture above. I'm having clearance issues with it, which is why I'm going to try the new one. I'm hoping the new one gets me passed this point. I'm about 6 months into this build and I've basically hit a road block with the steering.
Quote:
This is the unit I got. When I ordered I wasn't expecting much for the price -- I was amazed with the quality. If it is going to show the one you've got sure is pretty. Pricey too. I love billet made parts. Mine is hid underneath - functionality is most important for me. With a 17 inch steering wheel it's like power steering.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEERING-GE...frcectupt=true
Old 11-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

People don't realize how hard it is to build a functional front suspension, first it has to work and second it must be fully adjustable. I like your air bag idea - I've been into big trucks all my life and if you use a quick release valve you can dump the air almost instantly. What type compressor are you using? What type air tank do you have?
Old 11-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've got 2 ViAir 444c compressors and an air zeith tank. I'm also running an Accuair VU4 for air management.
Quote:
People don't realize how hard it is to build a functional front suspension, first it has to work and second it must be fully adjustable. I like your air bag idea - I've been into big trucks all my life and if you use a quick release valve you can dump the air almost instantly. What type compressor are you using? What type air tank do you have?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did the RHD a little while ago. Check out post 74 here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...g-block-3.html

Maybe you can find something useful.

Looks nice so far!
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bagged, control arms, ezgo 2006, rack and pinion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!