lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Loss of Power and Batteries Loss Charge Faster

I have a 95 TXT it has a lift with 23 inch tires. I rebuilt this cart two years ago from the ground up. I just put the lift on before the holidays took it out and drove it around the neighborhood. The cart really struggles getting back up my drive way it is a little steep. I am also losing my charge a lot quicker than before. I have tested all my batteries all of them are reading 6.2 and the pack all together is reading 37. The batteries are 2years old. Is this just normal with installing a lift?
Drock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Loss of Power and Batteries Loss Charge Faster

Batteries aren't fully charged, or are getting weak, or both. Individual voltage should be 6.37 & pack voltage should be 38.2. Also in colder weather, your batteries won't hold the amp/hours that they will in warmer weather. Sounds like you have a combination of weak (or undercharged) batteries & cold temps.......

Also, you lost a good deal of torque when you added the 23" tires. If you're running a Sepex motor & a stock controller, your controller isn't going to live long (been there, done, that....).
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Knothead about how long did your controller last? It has been really cold this year maybe when it warms up it will get a little more charge. If not I will start replacing batteries.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Larger tires will greatly reduce your torque and hill climbing will suffer. Solution is more amps. (upgrade time! )
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Or, you could move to Atlanta! Winters are about 2 1/2 months long!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Or Scottsdale. We don't have winter. (But the summers are a bitch)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1 View Post
Knothead about how long did your controller last? It has been really cold this year maybe when it warms up it will get a little more charge. If not I will start replacing batteries.
My controller didn't live very long after I put the bigger tires on, but I honestly feel like the previous owner had already hurt it. His kids rode the cart a lot, & I'm pretty sure it was probably ridden at too low of a charge many times. The stock DCS controller doesn't have a low voltage safety feature.

The low temps won't actually cause your batteries to not take a full charge, but will make them run down quicker, & won't have as much "oomph". If yours are only showing 6.2 each after a full charge, either they are weak, or your charger isn't putting enough in them.

I can highly recommend the controller/solenoid package from ScottyB! And if you're going to buy new batteries, I also recommend going to 48 volts. My combination of 500 Amp DCX controller (which I'm sure is slightly "de-tuned" by Scotty to protect my stock motor) & 48 volts nets me 24 mph on level ground & enough torque to snap your head back & climb anything I've tackled. Next on my upgrade list is a D&D motor for even more power!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Moving to Atlanta would be better!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Drock1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I want to do a 48 conversion but I have a 12 volt battery running my amp and led lights. Also my sub is mounted in the bag well. If I could find another spot for the battery I would. I took around the block and I can smell my controller. I guess scootb will be getting a call shortly.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Drock1......you can easily do the 48v conversion and not use any more room.....just use 6 - 8v batteries like some people do. they will fit in the stock battery tray.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO