lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default 06 Precedent 4x12v charging questions

Got our "new to us" cart today. The place I got it from included a smart charger and walked me through checking and filling the batteries periodically. However, he suggested that I not leave the cart on the charger for long periods of time. When I say long, I mean like overnight, not several days. He recommended 4 or 5 to 6 hours maximum. He said even though the charger is supposed to cut off by itself when it is done, it would be more than is needed and could harm the batteries. I thought the good part of a smart charger was that you could just put it up for the night and plug it in until you are ready to ride again. What gives? Was this BS or just being overly cautious or what? If I can only plug it in for a max of 6 hours at a time, it will require much more planning to charge the cart vs. just plugging it in before bed and having it ready to go the next morning. Any thoughts? This is an 06 model with 08 12v batteries.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 06 Precedent 4x12v charging questions

if what hes saying is true it dosn,t sound much like a smart charger huh? i would take a day and plan on leaving cart plugged in ans see how long befor it shuts off..........sometimes when your charger gets down to 5 amps or under it may stay there for hours before shutting off.....this is with a cart charger now........but those last 4 or 5 hours are important for fully charged batteries..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Is it possible he just gave me a crappy charger? Not sure what to look for. I could take a picture of it and post it here. I'd rather invest in a good charger that does what it should than to burn my cart to the ground along with the barn I store it in.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Is it the factory charger? Bad info if you ask me.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I didn't pay that much attention to it and I didn't plug it in tonight. It's pretty beat up on the outside but it was plugged in and working when I went to pick up the cart. I don't remember seeing any settings or switches, just a meter on the left side and on or off on the right side and 2 cords - 1 for the wall and one for the cart. I do think I remember it actually saying "club car" on it. It's outside in the barn - will check it out closer tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you have the right charger in good working order and you the cart on weekends than charge the cart before you leave and unplug it when done even if your gone 2 or 3 weeks you,ll still have a full battery pack when you return as long as everything is good and there are no unknown drains on the batts.......you can leave that cart sit for 2 moths and jump on it and ride............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

That's a load of crap. Plug it in and forget about it. It will turn off when it's finished.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Have no idea how charged my cart was when I picked it up. I called and told them I was coming to get it around 8am and had it loaded up by 11am. It was on the charger when I got there, though. Road it a little yesterday but not what I'd consider a lot. Today, my son went to ride it and told me it seemed very weak. I tried it out and it did seem weak. I put it on the charger about 3 hours ago and the meter jumped over to 15 amps when it first started up. It's down just below 10 amps now. It is a club car charger and it does say it will shut off when the batteries are charged.

Anything sound out of the ordinary about this? Any thoughts on the charger? See pic below. I know it looks like it's been used as a bowling ball and/or run over by a cart. But it seems to be working.

Thinking of just leaving it plugged in overnight and see what happens. Thoughts?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
toogood4ubalius79
Gone Wild
Club Car

like tahoe said plug it in and let it go it should cut off after the batteries are charge or 16 hours...
toogood4ubalius79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

16 hours? If that's a joke, I don't get it, sorry. But since you bring it up, when a cart with supposedly good batteries in it starts to run sluggish and you plug it in, what's an average time to full charge?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car