lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Rendog92
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default LED state charge install

Hey again guys, back with some more questions, let me line them up (I couldnt find ANY info on these topics, I did try to search). I have a Club car ds iq 2005
1.-Is installing the horizontal led state of charge meter from the sponsors easy? What tools do I need to cut into the dash? Is the wiring hard at all, and can it be done at the golf course, or does it take alot of time?
2.-I bought a club and ball cleaner at my local course, however, it calls for "drilling holes into the fender". How would I go about doing this correctly? I do not want to drill holes in the fender, than have huge issues getting the screws through the bottom fender.
3.-Our cart is a Club car 2005 ds iq, it has 6 8 volt stock trojan batteries. The cart was run alot I believe, at a club in Texas. I notice that after about an hour of playing on the course, the cart starts slowing down. I charged it one night, then went out onto the course, screwed around for an hour, then came back to the charger, put it on, and it was already showing the amps as 10!!! 15 is the lowest you can go, and it was very bad I think to be at 10 after only an hour. Should I invest in getting 6 8volt trojan T 875s? This is the family cart, and it will be used for at least 1 round a day for 7 days out of the week.
4.-Another quick question, what tools do I need to remove the tires, they are the stock tires, and I will soon be replacing them with some newer tires that have better traction?
5.-My cart is running on the "code 3" setting I believe, as it runs around 16 miles an hour, very quick. What kind of performance increase would new 4 gauge cables bring? Are they easy to install, or is it another 2 hour long process?
Sorry for my stupid questions, but its a pain getting into these modifications with so little pre-knowledge. Thanks alot, -David
Rendog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: LED state charge install

David, Here is my take on this.... There are people who do this for a living who have invested in the proper tools and training. They could pull out a variable speed 3/8s drill you probably don't have chuck up a 2 inch hole saw bit you don't have and install the meter in 15 minutes because they have the electrical connectors and crimping tool and know how..... It may take you a weekend..
I laugh but I am the same way on air conditioning repairs or high finance?
the tires will require jacks and tools that will cost more than they are going to charge you to put them on...... I hope I haven't offend. I mean to help!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
Rendog92
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the help, there is actually a local guy who installs such things, I was just trying to save the couple $s :D
The whole concept of golf cart modification is very exciting, seeing as I will be using this golf cart for the rest of my high school golf "career". My friend also rides alongside when we are practicing, so its really a double win no matter what I upgrade.
What can you tell me about the state of the current battiers? Should I buy new batteries, or keep these old ones?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendog92 View Post
Hey again guys, back with some more questions, let me line them up (I couldnt find ANY info on these topics, I did try to search). I have a Club car ds iq 2005
1.-Is installing the horizontal led state of charge meter from the sponsors easy? What tools do I need to cut into the dash? Is the wiring hard at all, and can it be done at the golf course, or does it take alot of time?
2.-I bought a club and ball cleaner at my local course, however, it calls for "drilling holes into the fender". How would I go about doing this correctly? I do not want to drill holes in the fender, than have huge issues getting the screws through the bottom fender.
3.-Our cart is a Club car 2005 ds iq, it has 6 8 volt stock trojan batteries. The cart was run alot I believe, at a club in Texas. I notice that after about an hour of playing on the course, the cart starts slowing down. I charged it one night, then went out onto the course, screwed around for an hour, then came back to the charger, put it on, and it was already showing the amps as 10!!! 15 is the lowest you can go, and it was very bad I think to be at 10 after only an hour. Should I invest in getting 6 8volt trojan T 875s? This is the family cart, and it will be used for at least 1 round a day for 7 days out of the week.
4.-Another quick question, what tools do I need to remove the tires, they are the stock tires, and I will soon be replacing them with some newer tires that have better traction?
5.-My cart is running on the "code 3" setting I believe, as it runs around 16 miles an hour, very quick. What kind of performance increase would new 4 gauge cables bring? Are they easy to install, or is it another 2 hour long process?
Sorry for my stupid questions, but its a pain getting into these modifications with so little pre-knowledge. Thanks alot, -David
David,

What is very easy for some might be very difficult for others. First, how handy are you? Can you change a light switch for example in a home? If the answer is yes then you could install the HORIZONTAL LED meter very easily since the factory has 2 wires waiting for you behind the dash just for that purpose. Remember that it’s the horizontal line meter that comes with some factory Club Cars. The outline for the gauge is even in the dash to follow as a cutout with a utility knife. Any other gauges will require a hole saw and a drill.

As far as the ball cleaner install ask where you bought it how to install it and also look at installs of them on other carts to see if it’s something you could handle.

Your battery pack should give you a voltage reading of near 51 volts, (use a digital meter,) after being fully charged and sitting for 24 hours, (my pack actually takes a bit longer.) Just after charging you might see 52+ volts but the pack needs to settle down first. If your readings are not near 51 volts, 50.9 to 51.1, then you probably have an issue. Check each battery after that full charge and see if they are 12.7 or above. Also it goes without saying that you should also make sure after that charge all water levels are above the lead plates in the battery.

Tires should be done by a dealer or purchased already attached to rims if you prefer to upgrade your look.

Going to 4 gauge wires on a stock cart with a stock motor will not necessarily give you noticeable improvement for the money. Going to a Code 4 purchased from a club car dealer for a bit over the cost of those wires WILL… or for $300 and no code 4 purchase a PQ motor and get 22mph with stock tires along with a bit more torque .

Remember that most anyone can do most anything with the proper training, education and the tools necessary to complete the task. There is a member with the screen name Extractor who is a Dentist by trade and who built his cart from the ground up, learning as he was going along with the help of members online. We even had fun teasing him about his 4 gauge wire upgrade as he was having soldering issues. His cart came out terrific and he’s very proud of what he accomplished. So you might not know today but you sure will know tomorrow once you’ve completed the tasks on your own.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Rendog92
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thx for the reply scuba bud
I have done some wiring work (mainly with a light switch and an internet cable for a computer network idea).
My step dad said that he is going to have his friend come over, he has the tools and knowledge to get the job done. Where is the outline might I ask? I never saw one in my 2005 CC ds Iqs dash. As for the wiring, that is very handy! I thought that I would have to go and reroute the cables to the battery. My step dads friend will do alot of the work though form what I hear, but if you can tell me where the outline is, that would be awesome.
As for the ball cleaner, I have only one issues, supposedly there is a mud guard under the fender of the cart, just above the tire, that is what I need to get off in order to drill and screw the screws in for the ball washer. I do not have a voltage meter at this time, but I will soon invest on getting one, as it might come in handy. I think the batteries have been used too much already. Thx for the info. about the cables, I thought that it wouldnt really make a difference. One day I plan on getting a Plum quick motor, but first I have to get the right basic things such as batteries and newer tires. Thanks alot for the help, and please check this thread often, because soon I might need your help with the meter.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Thx for the reply scuba bud
I have done some wiring work (mainly with a light switch and an internet cable for a computer network idea).
My step dad said that he is going to have his friend come over, he has the tools and knowledge to get the job done. Where is the outline might I ask? I never saw one in my 2005 CC ds Iqs dash. As for the wiring, that is very handy! I thought that I would have to go and reroute the cables to the battery. My step dads friend will do alot of the work though form what I hear, but if you can tell me where the outline is, that would be awesome.
As for the ball cleaner, I have only one issues, supposedly there is a mud guard under the fender of the cart, just above the tire, that is what I need to get off in order to drill and screw the screws in for the ball washer. I do not have a voltage meter at this time, but I will soon invest on getting one, as it might come in handy. I think the batteries have been used too much already. Thx for the info. about the cables, I thought that it wouldnt really make a difference. One day I plan on getting a Plum quick motor, but first I have to get the right basic things such as batteries and newer tires. Thanks alot for the help, and please check this thread often, because soon I might need your help with the meter.
Glad to hear you'll be having help along with the tools needed. The outline and wires should be on the inside the dash, that’s where they were in my Precedent. Have you looked inside yet? JUST make sure before you do any cutting with that utility knife that there is nothing in it’s way… like wires! But… now that you will be having help I’d like to make a suggestion, how about a digital voltmeter instead of just the LCD line gauge. It will tell you exactly where your battery pack is and when you’ll need to charge it, (50% of your pack voltage which would be 48.41.) Here is a link to show what mine looks like.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...installed.html

You'll notice I have an LED round gauge which I placed where the horizontal gauge would have gone. A hole saw blade on a drill takes 5 seconds to cut out and you're done. Looks good but I never use it now that I have my Digital Gauge on my dash as well!

Speaking of a voltmeter, a handheld one is a MUST! For example if there weren’t any wires left for an add on Digital Meter you would want to install in the dash you would need to find a + 48 lead such as the one on your key switch as well as a ground lead. Without a voltmeter you’d never find one. Also a wiring diagram will help with this too which you can find in one of the sticky threads. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you could pick one up for under $5 and if not get a good digital meter at Home Depot for around $30 to $40..

To make your life easier whomever will be installing the Ball Washer should do like I mentioned in my first thread, talk with whom you purchased it from and see if you could look at one that is already installed.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
Rendog92
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi again scubabud, so you are saying that the dash must be removed before the meter can be installed? Well that would make alot more sense than just going and drilling. As for attaching the wires, is it ok to wrap the wire ends onto the other wires coming from the cart? Or do you have to use a soldering iron? The ball washer is very new to my golf course, and so no one has this kind yet. Alot of people have ones with mounting brackets, which make the job extra easy. I will have to just think before I install the ball washer. Thx for your help again
Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Hi again scubabud, so you are saying that the dash must be removed before the meter can be installed? Well that would make alot more sense than just going and drilling. As for attaching the wires, is it ok to wrap the wire ends onto the other wires coming from the cart? Or do you have to use a soldering iron? The ball washer is very new to my golf course, and so no one has this kind yet. Alot of people have ones with mounting brackets, which make the job extra easy. I will have to just think before I install the ball washer. Thx for your help again
Yes you would have to remove the dash where the gauge would go to make sure you have the clearance needed as well as access to the wires. If the wires are there for the gauge from Club Car they will have connectors already attached that would be used to push on the factory LED meter. If not then yes it would be fine to use wire nuts or crimp connectors on the wires. Soldering is not necessary. Again make sure you have someone looking over your shoulder if you feel unsure about what you are doing. Better safe then sorry.

Make sure you look up the wiring diagram for your cart from the stickeys first!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Rendog92
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Scubabud again, I was talking to a guy around here who has modified his cart with some lights and stuff. He said I could just remove the stock CC "low battery" indicator, then hook my led meter on there, is this true? If so, then all I need to do is get the CC low battery meter out, then measure and cut for the new meter, attaching wires as I do so. If I cannot do this, then what kind of wires do I need to attach my new led meter on, as it came with no wires. Oh yea, and I got my tinted windshield and canopy installed today, the cart is already really comfortable, but im not done with it yet. Hopefully when it gets new batteries I can also put some good tires on it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Hey Scubabud again, I was talking to a guy around here who has modified his cart with some lights and stuff. He said I could just remove the stock CC "low battery" indicator, then hook my led meter on there, is this true? If so, then all I need to do is get the CC low battery meter out, then measure and cut for the new meter, attaching wires as I do so. If I cannot do this, then what kind of wires do I need to attach my new led meter on, as it came with no wires. Oh yea, and I got my tinted windshield and canopy installed today, the cart is already really comfortable, but im not done with it yet. Hopefully when it gets new batteries I can also put some good tires on it.
Quick answer is NO. Your meter is for the entire battery pack and the low battery light wires are not from that directly. You can disconnect it if you want and use that hole or just keep it hooked up and install your meter elsewhere.

Have you removed the dash yet and looked for those 2 wires that are not connected to anything? They should show the entire pack voltage once tested.

Have you purchased a digital voltmeter yet to test the leads under the dash?

Let me know.

Tags
batteries, cabling, drill, meter, tools
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car