lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
etiscool
Not Yet Wild

Default Different brand batteries in cart

Hello

I have a new to me 2008 CC Precedent. It is a 48v and has three, what I am assuming are original, Club Car batteries and one marine style "deep cycle" battery. (4 12v batts. total)

Is this very bad for anything on the cart other than the batteries themselves? I know it is said to use batteries from the same time with the same amount of discharge cycles and usage but was just curious on the reasoning for this.

Also I am planning on getting some new Trojans as money allows but should I get 4 12V or 6 8V?

Any comments, questions, answers or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Also I apologize if this is a dead and beaten horse but the "google **" is not strong with this one, as I could not find the answer.
etiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Different brand batteries in cart

A marine type battery is NOT the same as a golf type battery
You can not mix the two period
Cheers !
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

It will not harm the cart any, but you will not get full performance with that battery in there.
When you get new batts, definitely get 6 8v. You will get more life out of them and longer run time.
There is a great sticky showing the conversion...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
etiscool
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies!
At this point it seems to be tied as to if it truly is bad or not. I will probably run it with the marine if all its doing is hurting the batteries that I need to replace anyway, until I can get the batteries replaced. Unless I can be convinced otherwise. I am open to this if there is good reason not to.

If i do convert to the 6 8v batteries I dont think I have to cut the battery tray because on the 2008 precedent there was an option for the 8v batts so the tray will accept them as is. Is this true? Will I need anything else besides 2 more cables?

Thanks again for the help
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are going to upgrade pack in future go with max range and do 8-6 volt batteries for your 48 volt pack
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

They switched the battery tub in the middle of 2008 I believe so you may not get away without modification. If there is something that looks a little like a black plastic console dividing your batteries then you might need to do some "carving".
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Keep an eye on the pack, if any of them are getting hot
during charging you may have one explode.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
etiscool
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
They switched the battery tub in the middle of 2008 I believe so you may not get away without modification. If there is something that looks a little like a black plastic console dividing your batteries then you might need to do some "carving".
Mine does NOT have that divider in the center. It is just one large tub. It has what the owners manual shows as style b and c so I think Im good. Either way Im not afraid to do a little cutting to get them in if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Keep an eye on the pack, if any of them are getting hot
during charging you may have one explode.
And that would be bad. Very bad. I will take the IR theremometer down with me when I charge them and keep an eye on the temps. Any idea what would be considered hot, or what a normal set is at when charging?

Thanks. I new there would probably be potential problems I hope I can limp this along and still have a little fun on it before I do the upgrade to the batteries. I only get a very short amount of drive time as it is now so its not really useful to me for more than messing around on.
I cant wait to:
Upgrade batteries
Small lift so I can get some better tires on with some actual tread
Putt some sort of work bed on the back. This is to be a work vehicle.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car