lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #1
josephbphillips
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Reasonable Expectations for Hill Climbing

First time caller, long time listener.

I am a tinkerer and relatively handy, but still new to golf carts.* I have a completely stock 2006 (I think) EZ-GO TXT 36v Series cart.* I am trying to understand whether upgrades will make this cart work for my needs, or whether I am better off selling and going with something more suitable.

My yard has a large hill, around 60 feet tall, and I need to be able to drive up it with*four people or with a small yard trailer.* Using a straight line, the slope is about 43%, or 23 degrees.* With a longer path and switchbacks, I can cut that slope in half.* Even on the most steep/direct path, it is still walkable for my 70+ year old in-laws, as a point of reference.

I would love any input on the following:

1. With "supposedly" new batteries, the cart struggled to carry four people up the driveway, which is only about 10% slope.* That seems worse than expected, from thinking about my past experiences on the golf course.* Does that point to bigger issues, or are my expectations unreasonable?*

2. The batteries are now toast, and I don't need a lot of range, so it seems to make sense to go with a smaller lithium battery instead of a new lead battery set.* That will also mean replacing the battery cables (which are heavily worn), eliminating that as a source of power loss.* Agree?

3. If I am going to spend the money on batteries, and given the slope, it seems to make sense to upgrade to 48v.* Big Battery is local, so I can avoid shipping, and the 48v badger 40AH seems like a great option for around $600.* If this works well, I can always add a second battery for more run time.* Good plan?

4. To go to 48v, I believe the only things that MUST be upgraded immediately are the controller and solenoid.* Is that correct?* Is the AllTrax 48500+400 package the best option for my needs?

If $1200 or so and an afternoon turning the wrench gets me up the hill comfortably with passengers, that would be a winner.* I am not expecting to crest the*hill and get airborne, but I don't want to make passengers chant "I think I can" the*entire way either.

Is this realistic,*or am I better off going with a UTV or tractor of*some*sort?* I really want to avoid spending the money on upgrades only to find out it won't work...
josephbphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
josephbphillips
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reasonable Expectations for Hill Climbing

I am also curious about the cost/benefit of higher voltages or other upgrades that would make the cart more usable for my needs.

AC seems too expensive for my limited needs, right?

Can/should I convert to a regen set up? I have been so focused on getting UP the hill, but I need to make sure I can get back down safely as well.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbphillips View Post

I am a tinkerer and relatively handy, but still new to golf carts.* I have a completely stock 2006 (I think) EZ-GO TXT 36v Series cart.* I am trying to understand whether upgrades will make this cart work for my needs, or whether I am better off selling and going with something more suitable.

My yard has a large hill, around 60 feet tall, and I need to be able to drive up it with*four people or with a small yard trailer.* Using a straight line, the slope is about 43%, or 23 degrees.* With a longer path and switchbacks, I can cut that slope in half.* Even on the most steep/direct path, it is still walkable for my 70+ year old in-laws, as a point of reference.

1. With "supposedly" new batteries, the cart struggled to carry four people up the driveway, which is only about 10% slope.* That seems worse than expected, from thinking about my past experiences on the golf course.* Does that point to bigger issues, or are my expectations unreasonable?*

2. The batteries are now toast, and I don't need a lot of range, so it seems to make sense to go with a smaller lithium battery instead of a new lead battery set.* That will also mean replacing the battery cables (which are heavily worn), eliminating that as a source of power loss.* Agree?

3. If I am going to spend the money on batteries, and given the slope, it seems to make sense to upgrade to 48v.* Big Battery is local, so I can avoid shipping, and the 48v badger 40AH seems like a great option for around $600.* If this works well, I can always add a second battery for more run time.* Good plan?

4. To go to 48v, I believe the only things that MUST be upgraded immediately are the controller and solenoid.* Is that correct?* Is the AllTrax 48500+400 package the best option for my needs?

If $1200 or so and an afternoon turning the wrench gets me up the hill comfortably with passengers, that would be a winner.* I am not expecting to crest the*hill and get airborne, but I don't want to make passengers chant "I think I can" the*entire way either.

Is this realistic,*or am I better off going with a UTV or tractor of*some*sort?* I really want to avoid spending the money on upgrades only to find out it won't work...
Comments:

1. That doesn't sound right based on my experience with a 36v "series" TXT. Cart should climb that hill-not fast but not crawling either. "Supposedly" new batteries were probably on their last legs.

2-4. Lithium would lighten the cart significantly and even at 36v would likely fill your needs. Briefly looking at the Big Battery web site the 48v setup looks cheaper (assuming 40ah)than the 36v battery including the replacement controller and solenoid you would need. Based on my experience converting my TXT to 48v, it is a significant difference especially the increase in torque and lithium would magnify it even more.

One more thing to consider. I also have an EZGO RXV. Compared to my TXT it is at another level. Does not slow down on inclines at all (within reason). All electric RXVs are 48v, have a limited slip diff and an AC motor. But the big thing in my mind for your situation is its braking system. RXVs have no wheel brakes at all. NONE. All braking is done by the motor (regen) and there is an electrically operated mechanical parking brake on the end of the motor which is automatic. The motor is capable of stopping the cart and holding it until the brake engages even on hills. There is a brake pedal on the cart and pushing it just increases regen braking. So here's the thing. When going down your hill, the cart will hold the speed at wherever you hold the gas pedal at. If you let up it slows down including stopping if you let up all the way. The driver could fall off the cart and it would bring itself to a stop and automatically set the parking brake. The cart will not roll away if unattended. It takes a little practice to drive "cause it is a lot different than the old series carts that freewheel. Been in the market since 2008. If you should consider this look for 2013 or newer. Better controller.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:07 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbphillips View Post

YES....GO TO 48V using the 48500+400 PKG......this will increase both your speed AND torque by 30%. you also mentioned your cables are worn....when upgrading the controller/solenoid I would highly recommend to upgrade the F&R switch to either a HD F&R switch or a Reversing Contactors.....AND upgrade ALL of the cables to 2ga.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
josephbphillips
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you both for the help and validation that I am on the right track!

It gets confusing reading through old recommendation threads because the technology and, more importantly, the price point for various upgrades has changed over time. Does it make sense to go beyond 48v for my needs, or to AC, or to do a more intensive overhaul and add regen? Or is 48v and lithium the sweet spot for now?
Old 04-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
emoney
Not Yet Wild

You could get more expensive moving up into the 72v range, so from a budget standpoint, I'd hover at the 48v mark, because otherwise you're talking making the AC upgrade with new motor, etc etc etc. At that point, sell the cart and buy what you want, lol.

Moving to 48v Lithium will be a night and day difference. I just put DIY 36v Lithium-Ion batteries in my old DS resistor cart and the torque had to increase by 25-30% because the difference in take off is significant. Speed increased from 16mph to 19mph thanks to the weight loss.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
josephbphillips
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know this is a separate topic with lots of threads dealing with it, but what did you do for the DIY lithium? Leaf, something else repurposed, or completely from scratch? How about the BMS?

Tags
ezgo, hills, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO