lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default 1989 Marathon Hard Start

Hey guys. I'm working on a friends Marathon 2 stroke. It had a $20 Amazon carb on it and she complained of rough running and hard start.

I checked the compression 135# cold. Fuel was 40:1 . Changed the oily plug to an NGK BPR5EH. Spark is strong and consistent.

I aquired the original Mikuni and trashed the china carb. The Mikuni was clean as a whistle and tight, but I soaked it and cleaned every jet etc. Reinstalled with fresh 128:1 fuel and it starts and runs, but smokes like a chimney. I'm sure the muffler is full of oil residue.

When cold, it takes 60-90 seconds of cranking to start.

When warm, it takes 15-20 seconds of cranking to start.

Seems to start faster in reverse?

When it runs it feels normal, about 10 mph and will climb small hills. Governor is set really low.

My question: Could a weak battery and/or weak starter gen cause this thing to be hard to start?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Marathon Hard Start

I think it's probably crankshaft seals wearing out. Spinning that long finally gets them to seal.

You could try loosening the exhaust to see if the muffler is restricted. A healthy dose of Seafoam wouldn't hurt.

I don't think it's an electrical problem.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I think it's probably crankshaft seals wearing out. Spinning that long finally gets them to seal.

You could try loosening the exhaust to see if the muffler is restricted. A healthy dose of Seafoam wouldn't hurt.

I don't think it's an electrical problem.
Thank you and ditto on the ignition/electrical.

New info:

I put the cart up on jackstands and let it run wot for a good 15 minutes. Smokes like crazy so I'm betting the muffler is full of gunk. With the engine warm/hot I checked compression and it's only 70 psi. Looks like it needs overhauled.

Yesterday morning I saw a nice 10" puddle under the cart, it was gas. Fuel is leaking from the crankcase at the bottom. This crankcase has fuel in it. It was hydrolocked when I got it, bad carb. I fixed the carb and it's not flooding anymore.

Question: Could there be residual fuel left in the crankcase? Could that be causing a hard start issue? Would that not burn off once it's running and hot? I've never seen this much fuel in a 2 stroke.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You could have a ripped lower diaphragm in the fuel pump.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=98839
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
You could have a ripped lower diaphragm in the fuel pump.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=98839
This is good stuff! I didn't realize that pump mounts directly to the engine. It's kinda hard to see in there.

So basically the fuel pump diaphragm is allowing fuel to bypass into the pulse line and then into the engine, correct? This explains a lot. That will solve the fuel leak and hydrolock issue.

I wonder if the extra fuel could be causing the low compression when it's warmed up. All that extra fuel could be cleaning the glazing off the cylinder walls and rings causing it to read low compression at 70 psi vs. cold 140 psi.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The best you should get is 120 psi, and be happy with 100.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO