lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Cbehan
Not Yet Wild

Default DS with bent frame...what are my options

Was in the market for a fixer-upder cart to use around the neighborhood. Bought a 96 CC DS cheap ($400) that needed new batteries. Once the new batteries were in, everything seems to work. Now it was onto making it the way I want it...looking nice and with a rear seat kit.

The cart had a cargo bed on it, and the body could use some TLC, so I took off the bed, and started taking the body off to fill/sand/paint. When I took the back off, I find that rear end is bent...both the I beams are bent about 1" to the passenger side. Also, the rear cross piece that the back of the leaf springs ties into is bent, partially cracked, and the driver-size weld is completely broken off.

Where would you go from here? Should I look to someone to help bend it back in place and re-weld everything, should I just live with it, or should I look for a donor frame?

Thank you all for your time. This place has been an amazing resource for someone brand new into this stuff, it's really an amazing community.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1651.jpg (193.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1652.jpg (195.5 KB, 0 views)
Cbehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: DS with bent frame...what are my options

Those frames are extremely easy to weld or repair. I mean hey, its only aluminum right??

The best way to make a quality repair is strip it down to only the frame, place it on a metal work bench or fab table and then bolt it down with dogs or gussets. You can tack weld it to the table but I do not like to do that unless there is no other choice.

Now it is secured so rig you up a come-along or even a chain binder and start pulling it back over in small increments. It will spring a little and that is no problem after you get use to about how much it does with each pull. If needed, you can get a rose bud and heat the area to be bent back, but I seldom have needed that.

Try to use a MIG for all the welds so you get good penetration and the aluminum is filled correctly.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Club Car used to make a frame repair kit for the DS Electric. When I worked at the dealer we used them all the time. It consisted of a new crossmember and big long flanges that fit on both sides of the I-Beams and bolted on. It was extremely strong (all steel) and very easy to install. I can check tomorrow if it's still available if you'd like.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Cbehan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Club Car used to make a frame repair kit for the DS Electric. When I worked at the dealer we used them all the time. It consisted of a new crossmember and big long flanges that fit on both sides of the I-Beams and bolted on. It was extremely strong (all steel) and very easy to install. I can check tomorrow if it's still available if you'd like.
That would be outstanding. I would really appreciate it.

So far, I've managed to flex it back using tow straps, and I've gotten about half of the bend back..but The weld is completely broken on one side, and the cross beam has a bend and a crack in it.

No welding equipment here either, so I'm looking for someone who could do a quick aluminum weld on this to hold it all together once I get it bent roughly back into place.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing that too!

I put a "HD" hitch on the other day. That rear stock crossmember looks to me, to need some major bracing.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Ok I just called and spoke to someone at Club Car who is going to be looking into this for me. I don't believe they're still in production, but there may be some old inventory still there. They're gonna go wipe the dust off of the boxes and see exactly what we're working with here. Standby.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Ok I just called and spoke to someone at Club Car who is going to be looking into this for me. I don't believe they're still in production, but there may be some old inventory still there. They're gonna go wipe the dust off of the boxes and see exactly what we're working with here. Standby.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
I'd be interested in seeing that too!

I put a "HD" hitch on the other day. That rear stock crossmember looks to me, to need some major bracing.
Agree, the stock rear crossmember isn't worth $#%^ for any real towing. my hitch actually supports the rear spreader and holds the frame tails square and in line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (379.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (434.1 KB, 0 views)
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Agree, the stock rear crossmember isn't worth $#%^ for any real towing. my hitch actually supports the rear spreader and holds the frame tails square and in line.
dang! That thing looks beefier than what is on my truck!

You by any chance have a couple pictures of it installed?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Cbehan
Not Yet Wild

I found a part number Club Car part number 102488801 which is described as a frame repair kit...but it was listed on a random site for $251. I'm interested if that's what David was talking about and what's included in the kit. I think I have a local donor frame I could pick up for less than that, but if it's easier and better long term to stick with my frame and beef up the back end of the cart, then I could go either way.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car