lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
clubcar02iq
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor & Controller for Going Slow

2002 IQ with rear seat & 20" tires.

90% of my driving is around 5mph & walking speed. I believe I need to go with a torque motor, looking at D&D (170-502-0002), and looking at 400amp Alltrax with fan.

Would I be good going with a torque motor and 400 Alltrax with fan for the Sepex system, or should I really be looking at Series or AC conversion?

If I should avoid keeping the Sepex system, I'm really considering the navitas AC system becuase the price is around the same after the controller, motor, reverse contractor, and OBC/charger for Series (not to mention the wiring).

Thanks fellas,
clubcar02iq is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Motor & Controller for Going Slow

I can't make any recommendation on which motor/controller to get as i'm just not familiar with all the options that are out there.
Talk to ScottyB at Carts Unlimited and David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. Get their opinions on which kind of setup might be most suitable for your needs.
Also you can talk directly to a few motor builders like the guys at EMP or D&D motor systems and see what they recommend. http://empinc.biz/
https://ddmotorsystems.com/ClubCar.php
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'll throw this out there since my name has been mentioned. No cart wants to run as slow as you walk (5-6 mph) for extended times - especially with big tires on it.
Doing so leaves the cart in a high amperage draw situation. A situation usually seen for 2-5 seconds on take off. And that is tolerated well but, when the high amperage draw is excessive for extended time the motor draws more amperage than it can effectively convert into motion. The extra unused amperage is converted into heat which usually causes motor failure 1st.
So don't call me. Call somebody like Chuck at EMP or Robbie at PQ and be very honest about what you are asking the cart to do.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcar02iq View Post
90% of my driving is around 5mph & walking speed.
Are you seeing excessive heat build up in your motor and controller when operating at these slow speeds? Flat driving vs. hill driving at low speeds might also have to be factored in.

If it feels hot but you can hold your hand comfortably onto the motor or controller, then it is not likely running at an excessive temperature.

If it is too hot to keep your hand on the motor or controller, then it may be getting too hot.

The best temperature check will be with an infrared thermometer.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
clubcar02iq
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I can't make any recommendation on which motor/controller to get as i'm just not familiar with all the options that are out there.
Talk to ScottyB at Carts Unlimited and David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. Get their opinions on which kind of setup might be most suitable for your needs.
Also you can talk directly to a few motor builders like the guys at EMP or D&D motor systems and see what they recommend. http://empinc.biz/
https://ddmotorsystems.com/ClubCar.php
I appreciate your feedback. I will reach out to the motor builders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'll throw this out there since my name has been mentioned. No cart wants to run as slow as you walk (5-6 mph) for extended times - especially with big tires on it.
Doing so leaves the cart in a high amperage draw situation. A situation usually seen for 2-5 seconds on take off. And that is tolerated well but, when the high amperage draw is excessive for extended time the motor draws more amperage than it can effectively convert into motion. The extra unused amperage is converted into heat which usually causes motor failure 1st.
So don't call me. Call somebody like Chuck at EMP or Robbie at PQ and be very honest about what you are asking the cart to do.
Thanks Scotty. After previous research I was thinking that was the case, was just hoping it wasn't. I'll get on the horn with the motor builders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Are you seeing excessive heat build up in your motor and controller when operating at these slow speeds? Flat driving vs. hill driving at low speeds might also have to be factored in.

If it feels hot but you can hold your hand comfortably onto the motor or controller, then it is not likely running at an excessive temperature.

If it is too hot to keep your hand on the motor or controller, then it may be getting too hot.

The best temperature check will be with an infrared thermometer.
Yeah the motor case was getting between 180-250F. I'm going to reach out to the folks that build the motors. I appreciate your response.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

With an alltrax controller you can cut the amperage down and do a torque curve, start with 50 amps and move up as needed there are also 3 modes and you can have different settings with the flip of a switch.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

what about going with a low gear set?
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

i was under the impression (not sure why ) that the AC systems didnt suffer from that , at least not as bad....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
clubcar02iq
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
what about going with a low gear set?
I will look into this. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
With an alltrax controller you can cut the amperage down and do a torque curve, start with 50 amps and move up as needed there are also 3 modes and you can have different settings with the flip of a switch.
That sounds like a good idea, I'll look into this too. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
i was under the impression (not sure why ) that the AC systems didnt suffer from that , at least not as bad....
I'll take this into consideration too. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
RallyPac
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have that motor SR with the controller, etc upgrades. It does not like dog trotting speed range. High torque motors like to blast off. For walking speed the factory 3.1 was much more satisfactory.
RallyPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car