lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
jeaster
Not Yet Wild

Default New cart owner with a few questions

I've been reading for a couple weeks but this is my first post.

I recently purchased 2002 Club Car DS with the serial number AA0240 all stock.

With that serial number I think I have a non IQ model?

I live on a golf course so lots of hills. I get 12-14mph on flat ground but it barely makes it up hills.

I have tested the batteries with a voltmeter and each one gives a good reading - previous owner said they were two years old.(I don't see a date code anywhere on the batteries)

For this model I don't believe speedylink or motor magnets will help me get any more speed/torque correct?

I was interested in possibly going with a plum quick bandit upgrade as a first step to get some immediate performance for this season. Is this a good idea? Do I need to purchase a whole new battery pack first?

Would I be better upgrading the controller before the motor or can I drop the motor in and see some changes now?

I just don't have the cash to do more than one thing this summer and i'd like to see a good return on my money!

Thanks for any and all help.

This is obviously addictive as I am already researching plasti dip, a backseat and new wheels!

- Josh
jeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: New cart owner with a few questions

You have a series cart, which isn't a bad thing at all, they are just a little tougher to get speed out of than the sepex carts. A bandit will certainly improve things, and for $225 you can't beat it. At two years old, your batteries should have a fair amount of life left, unless they were neglected. Pop the caps and make sure there is water covering the plates.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Thumbs up Re: New cart owner with a few questions

The real issue is you can't tell if the batteries are any good unless you can load them with battery load-tester OR follow the instructions the guys have developed that lets you monitor the batteries while going up a hill with your voltmeter attached to see how far the voltage drops drops. They can give the numbers to look for but it sounds like you have a battery issue to me...either not charging fully or one or two bad batteries....I have a series cart also and the best way to increase speed is high speed rear end gears. It's not cheep but it really works...but batteries have to be right regardless.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

For hill climbing - series carts also seem to benefit greatly if ALL the 6 gauge cables are upgraded (at least to 4 gauge - or 2 gauge if your serious about hills).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
jeaster
Not Yet Wild

Interesting. Thanks for the info guys!

So assuming the batteries are OK and I have a around $400 budget...

Would you suggest the Plum Quick Bandit and upgrading to 4 gauge wiring?

Then next purchase would be controller/selenoid?
jeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaster View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the info guys!

So assuming the batteries are OK and I have a around $400 budget...

Would you suggest the Plum Quick Bandit and upgrading to 4 gauge wiring?

Then next purchase would be controller/selenoid?
Sounds like you've got it right. The upgraded wiring will be there for the upgraded controller/solenoid in the future.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
breese2001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Sounds like you've got it right. The upgraded wiring will be there for the upgraded controller/solenoid in the future.
So just to clarify, the 4AWG battery cables are only necessary/beneficial when upgrading the controller & solenoid? Or would they be of any benefit with just a Bandit upgrade?
breese2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
would they be of any benefit with just a Bandit upgrade?
Replacing the battery cables (ALL of the "big" cables incl. those which connect to the motor) will have a direct and immediate benefit. It doesn't matter which motor or controller or solenoid (when it comes to climbing hills). They carry more amps - which means more power up hills.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: New cart owner with a few questions

Just a quick note...I have a 97 CC DS 48v series cart with a forward and reverse lever...I was running about 12mph before the new rear end gears and now I GPS'd the speed now at 23mph...standard controller, stock motor...everything else stock...I will say that the rear end gear change was a challenge for somebody my age but it's doable with the right tools and some planning.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The gears will pretty much hurt hill climbing, though - unless you take a speed-run at them (or buy a specifically designed torque motor). It all depends what he wants the cart to do -
Quote:
lots of hills
was in his first post.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car