lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Torque motor w/ high speed gears?

Hey guys just curious about something here. Has anybody here ever ran a torque motor w/ either 8:1 or 6:1 gears along w/ a higher amp controller on a pds system? If so, what were/are the numbers on it. Thanks fellows.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Torque motor w/ high speed gears?

You'd also need to know the voltage, pack amp-hours, pack age, and tire size and tread pattern, to do a real comparison. Top speed is easy to measure. Torque, without a dynamometer, is probably subjective. Even if you did a side by side hill climbing test, you'd still need to consider the weights and tread patterns on both carts. Bogging down while climbing a hill isn't the same as losing traction and spinning the tires.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A high torque motor is usually a series wound motor, a pds motor isn't known for it's amazing torque, a series can be. If you add gears it will load the pds motor down more and they won't like to be run at part rpm either.

My recommendation is call D&D and tell them what you want to do and let them choose series or pds motor for you and your goals.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle, it's a 48v, batteries are 8 6v US Battery 1800@208ah, 23" carlisle all trails. Don't need it for hill climbing, I was thinking by using a torque motor w/ med. gears that it might still have good take-off torque and stay cooler.

Sportcoupe, I've already talked w/ Vic and he told me that he didn't have anything for me that I needed to get a 500 amp controller instead of the DCX400PDS I currently have and also that w/ my lift and 23" tires it wouldn't be stable enough. Also, that if I wanted to stay around 25mph he could help but w/ me wanting 35mph that he couldn't because of liability issues.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've done a series high torque D&D motor, 72v pack with 8:1 gears and 500A Alltrax. I had tons of torque and did around 28 mph on 23" tires. It would be much less on 48v.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

But if it were a pds you'd done w/ the same setup except for it being 48v instead of 72v, it would have went past 28mph, wouldn't it?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
But if it were a pds you'd done w/ the same setup except for it being 48v instead of 72v, it would have went past 28mph, wouldn't it?
Too many variables to guess. A pds motor is primarily a high speed motor in it's most general sense. It is not usually recommended to run gears AND larger tires on a high speed motor.

Vic doesn't want to liable for your battery pack failing early or motor overheating and taking out your controller. D&D can't do the "impossible" based on what you are running. If you want 35 mph on a lifted pds with lots of torque it will cost you to do it right.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What do you have currently and what you want out of this cart?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I understand why Vic's saying this, and the reasons behind it. Right now I'm running the DCX400PDS Alltrax w/ 23" Carlisle All Trails(22psi max) 4" lift, backseat, stock 12.44:1 gears. I don't have any hills, maybe 2 or 3 but the incline isn't steep at all, mainly flatland, I don't go in the woods so, I really don't need "alot" of torque but enough to get my speed up without taking a long distance. I'd like to go around 35mph if I could.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is your speed currently?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO