lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
gamer1
Getting Wild

Default Is this normal?

On my 2000 ezgo I can hear the solenoid click when I push the pedal down but it doesn't click as soon as I let it off. It will hesitate about 2 to 3 sec and then click. Everything runs OK but I wondered if this wasn't a sign that the solenoid was about to go. The only problem I have is sometime (once or twice in a round of golf) when I push the pedal down the cart wont move and I have to let it up and back down then its OK. It has never stalled on me. Thanks for any advice.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
napalaz
Gone Wild

Default Re: Is this normal?

samething happened to me and it was the soilenoid
napalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

No...that not normal on those carts. If you want to be sure you can hook a volt meter up to the 2 control terminals and see if it kills the voltage before you hear the solenoid click off.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Most likely: Your solenoid is sticking. It would be wise to drop the $20 or so and change it out.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Bob-0
Gone Wild

The Delay of disengagement is NORMAL. It was designed that way so that when you release the pedal you can continue driving without the solinoid going through another cycle. An example would be releasing the accelerator pedal down hill, and depressing it at the bottom of the hill... or such as when looking for a golf ball, then continuing on.

The solinoid will remain energized until it disengages... so testing for Voltage will show continuity (voltage) until AFTER the soilinoid de-energizes.

What isn't normal is when it does not run. I would say you should take your car to Jim and Mel's Golf Cars.

Bob
Bob-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

What part of the throttle circuit on a series style cart is responsible for the delayed disengagement of the solenoid?

I dont have a 2000 EZGO...but I do have several other E-Z-GO's around that year here and none of them have the delayed solenoid disengagement you speak of. These are all series style carts. Apparently, I need to find out whats wrong with them so I can get them fixed.

Now My 07 Drive does this delayed disengagement but none of the series style ezgo's do..
Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
gamer1
Getting Wild

Thanks everyone for the input. I have the freedom chip if that makes any difference. I hear that Jim and Mel's do a good job and I am sure they could find the problem but for $50 an hour I can replace a lot of parts. I am pretty sure when the cart doesn't move that the solenoid does not click. It happens so rarely that I'm not ready for it and not paying attention. I have also noticed that some times when I push the pedal it hesitates just a sec and then goes while the pedal is still down. Thanks again for the time.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Ok...You have a PDS cart not a series style cart. A second or 2 delayed disengagement is normal, but the cart not moving after the pedal is pushed is not. One thing you don't wanna do is throw money at it till it starts working but it does sound like the solenoid is bad. Just because it clicks does not mean it's good. Also, there is no way to adjust the delay time.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
gamer1
Getting Wild

Thanks roady......I will probably replace the solenoid. Now if I do should I replace it with the stock 36 volt or with a 48 just in case I decide to add the 12 volt battery? (Discussed in an earlier post) I guess what I am asking will the 48 volt solenoid hurt anything if I don't go with 48 volts?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The problem with using a 48 volt solenoid on 36 volts is the coil voltage. 48 volt solenoids were designed to run on 48 volts. It "might" work but you would have problems with it not engaging simply because their is not enough voltage to operate the coil.

36 volt solenoid on 48 volts are the opposite, but you run the risk of burning out the coil.

Not to plug czonka relays but the coil on those are designed to run off a wide variety of voltages using the same coil. The one I use will run off of 32-96 volts. Somthing like that would work but its not a direct bolt-on replacement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO