lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default test a battery charger

How can i check a battery charger (36 volt power wise) with a fluke multimeter.
to make sure it is working properly.
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: test a battery charger

Welcome, here's some info, which charger is it ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-charger.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Welcome, here's some info, which charger is it ?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-charger.html
Thanks for the reply..my thoughts were if i put the leads in the plug pull a reading shouldnt it be 36volts?

sorry if i am off base with this question just looking for a quick check.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoman View Post
1......my thoughts were if i put the leads in the plug pull a reading shouldnt it be 36volts?

2. sorry if i am off base with this question just looking for a quick check.
1. No, it will be much higher than 36V, but it won't turn on unless it is attached to the battery pack. (Unless you jumper an internal relay - which isn't a good idea unless you know your way around inside electrical devices)

2. Quick check:
With charger disconnected from AC power, insert charger plug into cart's charger receptacle.
After a few seconds delay (3-5 or so) you should hear a relay inside charger click.
If you hear the click, plug charger into AC power.
You should hear the transformer hum and see the ammeter jump to into the 20A-25A range.
If ammeter doesn't jump up to about 20A or above, the charger isn't working right and some troubleshooting is needed.
The nice thing about the old Powerwise chargers is that they are built like tanks and are easy to repair.

If it does and you want to use your Fluke DMM, you can monitor battery pack voltage as it climbs up into the 44V-46V range and the charger automatically shuts off.
Depending on State of Charge the batteries were in, that might take 4-6 hours, or longer.

While waiting you can read the attached manual, (Let me know if manual doesn't match your charger - I'm guessing)
I also attached a State of Charge chart so you can tell if you batteries are being fully charged. (Voltage readings taken after the batteries have rested 12Hours after charger shouts off)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 PW Charger.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB,
I am in the process of a lift kit and tire change install. I just installed new T-105's and will charge them to max after the lift. You have been very helpful with the questions posted on this forum and I know most are redundant but you still answer (thank-you).

My next project will be installing headlights....I'm sure i will need your guidance.

-litho
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry to snub you RIB..thank you for answering too. I just noticed you had a reply in the post.
You guys are the best!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoman View Post
.................. I just installed new T-105's and will charge them to max after the lift..................
If your new batteries aren't already charged to max, the plates are sulfating as we speak.

New batteries should be fully charged prior to first use and they have to be broken-in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity.

Go to ScottyB's website and read everything with "Battery" in the title.
Here is the break-in procedure.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

In a nutshell, your batteries should always be fully charged unless you are actually driving cart or they are in the process of being charged.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If your new batteries aren't already charged to max, the plates are sulfating as we speak.

New batteries should be fully charged prior to first use and they have to be broken-in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity.

Go to ScottyB's website and read everything with "Battery" in the title.
Here is the break-in procedure.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

In a nutshell, your batteries should always be fully charged unless you are actually driving cart or they are in the process of being charged.
No..I think I did it correct. I first did the lift/tires, then installed the batteries and charged them to max. Test drove went about 2 miles top speed 18mph/19mph all stock txt series except for 20inch tires and lift.. on road. Then put back on charger and checked this morning and got 37.67 full charge volts.

what you think?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is only about a 85% charge and that is very bad news for a new set of batteries.
You charger either isn't working, or isn't working right, or at least something isn't right.

For starters, put the batteries on charge and monitor the battery pack voltage with your Fluke Meter.
The pack voltage should climb fairly rapidly to about 42.3V within a half hour or so and then gradually climb into the 44V to 46V range over the next 4 to 12 hours.
The ammeter on the charger should jump to 20A to 25A, stay there for about 15 to 30 minutes and then drop off to about 6A to 10A.

If you put your batteries on charge in the evening and checked the voltage the next morning, it should be well off the top of the chart I posted. (Greater than 38.2V for a 36V battery pack)

Note: New batteries take a very long time to charge. The initial charge may exceed 12 hours and may be as much as 20 hours.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 04-14-2012 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Added Note:
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am at work right now. I will check when I get home. I am checking the voltage at the first battery pos and 6th batt neg is that correct. Also when charger is first plugged in it jumps to 17 maybe 18 amps never 20 or over?

now I'm bummed

Should i call home and have someone plug in the charger? As I wont be home till 7pm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO