lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
jmusser15
Not Yet Wild

Default Which High Torque Motor

Well I have read through a lot of threads on this website and I apologize if I am asking a redundant question. I have a 2006 EZGO PDS cart lifted with 22" wheels that I am going to use for a hunting cart. My needs are to climb some steeper grades but I am not climbing walls here. I also will use it to tow sprayers, haul deer out of the woods, haul sacks of corn for feeding, etc... I do want to upgrade to a high torque motor. I have talked to Plum Quick and D & D, they seem to be the top two sources. I am looking at the D & D 502:1 with a 500 amp controller, 4awg wire upgrade, and upgraded solenoid. From what i am gathering on this website D & D is the top of the line for motors. I don't mind spending the money as long as the quality and performance is there. Any other recommendations/input from experienced users of these products would be greatly appreciated. Basically which motor is the best bang for my buck.
jmusser15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
jmusser15
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Which High Torque Motor

Also, wondering how this upgrade will affect my 36V battery run time?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I can't recommend a torque motor but as far as "Best bang for the buck" a PQ motor is the way to go hands down. Anytime you add power your run time is going to suffer....now way around it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The PDS high torque motor is the GE D1162. It is a 36v regen motor that spins at 1200 RPM with 8.9 peak HP.
The D&D one you quoted should be a 170-502-0001 which is equivalent to the GE1162.
Check PQ for an equivalent, they are pretty knowledgeable and a sponsor here.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
tej
Not Yet Wild

I would explain what you want to do to Robby at PQ. He will tell you the best way to go even if it is with some other company.
tej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusser15 View Post
From what i am gathering on this website D & D is the top of the line for motors.
I'm not sure what sources you are using for this determination, but I disagree with that comment. I would sooner use a stock motor than ever use another D&D motor. Unless you enjoy having your cart down while you are shipping your motor back and forth to D&D......
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
The PDS high torque motor is the GE D1162. It is a 36v regen motor that spins at 1200 RPM with 8.9 peak HP.
The D&D one you quoted should be a 170-502-0001 which is equivalent to the GE1162.
Check PQ for an equivalent, they are pretty knowledgeable and a sponsor here.
Are you sure about the specs on the GE? From what I have found, that motor has a running HP of 8.9 with a Peak closer to the 12HP mark.
As for the D&D, while the HP might be close to the GE, it has enough other issues (like cheap and incorrectly pressed bearings) to make it a poor second cousin to the GE and will usually cost more than the GE....

PQ, from what I have been informed, is an excellent sponsor and motor designer. I personally have not had the pleasure of doing business with them yet, but I plan to remedy that in the near future.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Are you sure about the specs on the GE? From what I have found, that motor has a running HP of 8.9 with a Peak closer to the 12HP mark.
You are probably correct. These motor manufacturers and sales companies rate these things all over the place with some stating HP and others stating peak HP. It makes it very difficult to compare. I also agree with GE being the better of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
PQ, from what I have been informed, is an excellent sponsor and motor designer. I personally have not had the pleasure of doing business with them yet, but I plan to remedy that in the near future.
I have heard nothing but good about this sponsor and no one has reported any issues with their motors.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have the PQ Bandit and it has done well. Have Altrax dcx400 and 22" tires and it will climb a fairly stout hill with 600lbs of cargo around 15mph. I believe the folks at PQ to be top notch.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
redriderno22
let it SNOW

Club Car

swap it to a series cart and up it to 48 volts
redriderno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
jmusser15
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so if you were choosing a hight torque motor, a GE or Plum Quick now. I am new and I just want to get a good high quality product for that amount of money. I am looking for recommendations from people that own and use products they are recommending. Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!