lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 1973

Have a 73 cart and they had tape around the votage regulator on frame then had the voltage taped to frame well took that off and notice the 15 amp inline breaker the red wire from battery was rusted off so thought i would put a new 20 amp inline breaker on and mount the regulator to the frame has a thin plastic thing that goes in between it and frame well after doing that it started and did fine but notice the black wire comming from the regulator and goes to the starter was melted and i noticed the voltage gauge is not working so not sure if anyone here has any suggestions new to HD carts thanks for any help
shatteredglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1973

I think the regulator should be insulated from the frame. Mine is. and problems happen when the regulator is shorted to the frame!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

so how does your regulator mount to the frame with plastic bolts????????? if you get a chance to snap a picture or know of one that would help me a ton thanks for your help :)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

There are supposed to be insulating washers in the mounting holes of the regulator. If not mount the regulator on an insulating material then mount the material on the cart. I used thick rubberized belting to mount a previous unit. mount the reg. on the slice of belt then lay a thin slab of plastic under that then mount the reg. It still may not work due to a wrong or defective reg.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #5
smitty1
Not Yet Wild

Have a problem with my battery not charging. Took the starter/generator off and checked the brushes which look about 90%. The guy at the electric shop tested the unit and said it is good. He told me that the regulator should be grounded to the battery box which it is mounted too. Its painted but he said to scrape off the paint so the regulator is on bare metal and my battery should charge. So what is right here? Any input would be helpful.
smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Yes, he is right! I forgot that I mounted mine for vibration elimination purposes. I have an external ground on my regulator. If you locate the wire that was being overheated I will check the print and see what may cause it. My cart was doing the same when I got it and I ripped out all the old wiring and re wired the whole thing. That was 8 years ago and I had forgotten. Age problem, I guess!!!!!!!! It does sound like something is grounded that should not be.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

That did the trick Thanks all
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

What did the trick?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
shatteredglass
Getting Wild

Club Car

mounting the regulator with platci bolts and screws and putting the insulator plate between it and the frame replaced the burnt wire and been running all over the place just need to figure out how i know if it is charging the battery the volt gauge is about 12 but not sure yet
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Yes, You have a regulator like mine. There is another type that has to be case ground but mine has a ground terminal and the case cannot be grounded.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson