lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
QDMMAN
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 Club Car V-Glide melts?

I bought a 1993 Club Car carryall with 36v system. I took it to some land that I have that has very steep hills and the highest tab on the v-glide melted. I thought it was just old so I replaced the V-glide, wiper and contact and when I took it there again, the bolt got so hot when I got to the top of the hill that the electric motor stopped. I lifted the seat and the new V-glide was on fire and the "highest speed" bolt was cherry red. The cart had enough power getting up, but I don't know why the v-glide melts? After the first v-glide melted, I upgraded the battery cables to 4 gauge, but not the cables from the v-glide to the coils. I do not believe that the cable was loose on either v-glide on the highest contact post. Any help? I did put a lift kit on it but that too was after the first v-glide melted. The Club Car dealer doesn't know why it is doing this either. Please help if you know why it is doing this. Thanks, Jim.

P.S. I cleaned all the battery contacts, but one of the battery had the posts corroded off, so the previous owner took a medium sized hex screw and lagged it into the flat terminal part of the battery. I put it back that way after I cleaned them all. The battery is in the middle of the series of 6 batteries. Could this be the cause? It seems to work fine on flat surfaces. Just melts the v-glide on large hills.

Last edited by QDMMAN; 08-20-2009 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added info
QDMMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1993 Club Car V-Glide melts?

Excessive heat is normally caused by resistance somewhere in the system. It could be a bad cable, battery post, connection, or corrosion somewhere. Often a cable is corroded. It even can happen internal to the cable.

When you press the pedal to full throttle, you use all of the voltage available. You're requesting the system to provide the max voltage, and it's having a hard time supplying it because of a bottleneck somewhere.

BTW, I once blew a battery post out because of a corroded internal cable connection.
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
QDMMAN
Not Yet Wild

Xact1, thanks for the advice. I guess I will replace the v-glide again and change out all the cables and keep a close on on it. Thanks, Jim.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the cart has the coiled resistors behind the batteries, check all of the connections here also. Make sure that everything is corrosion free. Pay particular attention to the last resistor coil (the one that goes from the last contactor on the V-glide to the coil). Also check this cable.

These coils are not interchangeable. They are wound at different lengths. And, they all get hot! So, be careful.

P.S Disconnect the batteries prior to working on anything
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
QDMMAN
Not Yet Wild

They are a tad rusty and I know they must get really hot because I could feel the heat coming off of them. I really appreciate your help. I will take those off and clean them up too. I was wondering if the mild rust buildup where they bolt to the frame and cables would cause a problem. I figured it ran - so probably not. Well, I guess I am learning the hard way!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

I had similiar problems with mine. It is very important that all of the connections at the resistor coils are good. Even if the cart runs it does not mean that all of the connections there are good. It took alot of work with mine to get it to the point where I no longer had any problems with it. It was pretty neglected when I got the cart I had to go thru it a few times before I got it all taken care of.
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v-glide melting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car