lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
kriley620
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent Charging System Tidbit

I discovered from a club car mechanic today that the charging system on the Precedents has been a problem from the start in '04. It seems the problem stemmed from undercharging of the 12 volt batteries from the systems computer. This may have been touched upon in an earlier thread, but could not find it.

The controller that shuts off the charger when the batteries are charged is shutting down early not allowing the batteries to be fully charged. If you take off the controller cover box under the seat with the 10mm tap, you will see the controller below. The newest one that seems to have fixed the problem is labeled "version 3.0". If you have anything less, you may still have a problem with undercharging. I have not checked mine yet as I am at the firehouse today on duty, but will check tomorrow. He said you need a mirror down in there to see it. I hope this might help someone and again my apologies if this is repetitive information!
kriley620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Burns1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Charging System Tidbit

Very Close, Its the On-Board Computer not the controller and you are right the older version OBC had charging issues. I worked at a Club Car Dealer and if it was the old version computer we HAd to replace it for free and the batteries also, why you ask. If we only changed the OBC the car would be back in less than a month cause it wouldnt run as long. We would always do a discharge test fill out paperwork replace batteries for FREE then return car. On the Precedent remove cover in the middle of batteries 10mm bolt, pull rear battery cable out of the way in the front of compartment look for negative cable coming out of square plastic piece, on the other side is a sticker that has version number if not 3.0 or 3.5. Complain to the dealer about car going slow after charging all night, and checked battery fluid level BEFORE charging and make sure cables are good. If you stay on them, maybe even contact Club Car they will replace batteries and OBC. If the discharge test is less than 70 minutes they should replace its warranty for 4-5 years.
Burns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

THank you Burns1 ..... That is excellent information. Lots of folks need a little help dealing with the dealer. Good to know what to do and what to say.
Glad to have you onboard
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
kriley620
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Burns1...great information. I was told I would have to pay for the OBC around $159 or so. I will follow up with the dealer..and maybe even contact club car if mine is not the 3.0 version or later.

Thanks for the great information.
kriley620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Burns1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When I worked at Granbury Golf Cars I was the Service Manager we were a Yamaha, Club Car, and Tomberlin Dealer. I got tired of the Owners always trying to screw people thats why I give service manuals and IPL's away. Now I just customize carts.
Burns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car