lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Motor running hot now

Im asking this question in the extreme DC section becasuse some of you racer guys probably have an answer to my question. My setup is in my signature. I installed a lift and 23" tires over the weekend so my motor is obviously working harder now, and it is also getting much hotter to the touch. Its not smoking or sizzling hot, but you definately wouldnt want to wrap your hands around that sucker anymore. So question is at what point is or does hot become to hot? I have a temp. probe so if theres a number where a chernobyl style meltdown will occur, what is it. IS it OK for the motor to get this hot or should I be able to grab it with no problems---I would really like somem ideas on this one---again, I dont want to meet the fire dept.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Nate
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor running hot now

I don't let my motors exceed 100*C (212*F). Thermocouple mounted on center of case.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I don't let my motors exceed 100*C (212*F). Thermocouple mounted on center of case.
Thanks, I appreciate the response..it wasnt that hot---yet
Now that I have a number I will be more comfortable going on a longer trip with some temp. checks in there just to make sure its O.K.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ox, You should consider saving up for a controller to complete this 48v conversion...... lots of heat related issues with the resistors ar you know.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Nate
Gone Wild

When determining motor temps it is always better to use a thermocouple rather than your nose...

Because... A hot motor can burn the snot out of your nose!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
When determining motor temps it is always better to use a thermocouple rather than your nose...

Because... A hot motor can burn the snot out of your nose!

The 6" lift made it easier to shove my head in there and put my nose on that motor.

No but seriously I do have an electronic temp. probe and have been testing the case--gets nowhere near the 212 mark. Im going to take for a long ride again when I have time and will test again. THANKS
Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Ox, You should consider saving up for a controller to complete this 48v conversion...... lots of heat related issues with the resistors ar you know.....
Yeah Scotty I think thats next on the list. I have gotten another motor to try and if this motor does what I think, I will not be able to keep full throttle all the time and therefore will be burnin' up the cart resistors. Since I got the two thumbs up from the wife on the lift and tires and she loves the cart now, I can keep throwing money at it---my plan worked
Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One side beneficial side effect is the improved run time, too
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
One side beneficial side effect is the improved run time, too
yeah thats another good thought too ScottyB. I have a feeling the way it is now is sucking the crap out of these batteries. before lift and tires, my wife would take to work on a 18 mile roundtrip drive and when I would check, the cart had just about 80% battery life left, and that was mostly at full throttle. I haven't let her take it yet until im comofortable it wont catch fire, but I bet it wont be anywhere near the 80% mark now, if it even makes it on the back home trip. Time will tell, I will play with it over the next few days hopefully. Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

just came back from a 6 mile ride with a few uphill runs out of the tunnels at full throttle trying to really work the motor, rest of run time was mostly WOT except for stop signs and 1 pedestrian on sidewalk...who the hell does he think he is walking on the sidewalk

The motor temp is 160*F +-5*F depending on where I probe the case. Good, bad or marginal???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!