lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Predator 420 charge magneto issue

Hey guys I hope someone can help me figure out what is up with this engine.

I bought this engine back when I first was going to go big block and decided to go to the 460 to keep the pedal start.

Since I seen the new 625 I decided to go key start and put in the 420 I had from when I first started on my cart.

Well I get it in and everything connected only to find out the charge magneto isn’t working.
I have the engine mounted tight(starter works with and without extra ground cable) but the charge magneto wasn’t charging my battery(have all led lights and haven’t used my radio since the swap) anyway the engine runs great but I have to charge my battery after a few rides.

I have clean connections but no luck on it charging the battery (I have a load tester that can check the charging system and it never shows it charging)
Battery reading verified that on my speedometer while I’m driving the cart.
I’m puzzled seriously as the engine runs like a champ and has gobs of torque.

I’m just using this engine till I get the 625 but id like for the charge magneto to work.
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 420 charge magneto issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by general01 View Post
Hey guys I hope someone can help me figure out what is up with this engine.

I bought this engine back when I first was going to go big block and decided to go to the 460 to keep the pedal start.

Since I seen the new 625 I decided to go key start and put in the 420 I had from when I first started on my cart.

Well I get it in and everything connected only to find out the charge magneto isn’t working.
I have the engine mounted tight(starter works with and without extra ground cable) but the charge magneto wasn’t charging my battery(have all led lights and haven’t used my radio since the swap) anyway the engine runs great but I have to charge my battery after a few rides.

I have clean connections but no luck on it charging the battery (I have a load tester that can check the charging system and it never shows it charging)
Battery reading verified that on my speedometer while I’m driving the cart.
I’m puzzled seriously as the engine runs like a champ and has gobs of torque.

I’m just using this engine till I get the 625 but id like for the charge magneto to work.
The 420 only has a 3 amp charge coil. Are you checking the charge coil output at full rpm or an idle? Remember the engine needs to be turning 3600 rpm to get that 3 amps
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The reason VC used the S/G on the 460 was the very weak charge coil on the average clone. Some lifans and hondas do have good charge coils but are usually priced quite a bit higher for this feature.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Shepherd I have a voltage reading on my speedometer and it never changes from the battery resting voltage.(this is with no load)
The most I go is 20mph while driving and it still has the 12:1 gearing so it has to be either dead or broke wire inside.(94 cc ds)

Ray I know and the price is more then what I got this predator engine for.(I did see a few Lifan engines on eBay with the higher output charge magneto so next project I may use them from here on out)

I guess I’ll just have to keep the battery charger handy till I get my 625 from Vegas carts.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

What's wrong with your Vegas Carts 460 engine?

Quote:
Shepherd I have a voltage reading on my speedometer and it never changes from the battery resting voltage.(this is with no load)
The most I go is 20mph while driving and it still has the 12:1 gearing so it has to be either dead or broke wire inside.(94 cc ds)

Ray I know and the price is more then what I got this predator engine for.(I did see a few Lifan engines on eBay with the higher output charge magneto so next project I may use them from here on out)

I guess I’ll just have to keep the battery charger handy till I get my 625 from Vegas carts.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Nothing
I just swapped it out to go key start as I plan on getting the 625 Vegas carts has out now.
That’s the only reason I’m using this predator engine now so I can be used to key start on the cart.
So far I’m liking the change(even my pulse pump works flawless with this engine)but the charge issue is the only flaw I’m having with this engine.(I don’t have the starter/generator on the cart)
I have my radio removed as I’m going to be adding a extended roof soon so it’s just my headlights and they don’t draw much so till I get the 625 I ain’t going to worry about it as I would have to pull the flywheel to get to it.
I may check the connection to the magneto to see if I used a bad wire(eg broken internally) before giving up.
I almost have enough to get the 625 but had to take care of a few things before I did but I’ll post on here when I get it ordered and it’s on the way(6k rpm is wild if that’s not a typo)
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Should be a wire from the flywheel, not the ignition kill wire, it has a diode in the wire that must be there, then it goes to the key box that came with engine. In the box I think it goes to the breaker then to the 12v supply and you get the 3A. You can add another coil under the flywheel to double it everyone says, though its not regulated. You dont need to regulate 3A over 4A it can overcharge eventually if run long time. That charge wire will show AC voltage likely if working. It should show an increase from your resting ~12v at battery when you run higher rpm, is easiest way to test, and it wont be much of an increase. I think the breaker is simply in case something shorts out it does not kill your other 12v. The key has 12v to run the starter solenoid.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

This is the charge coil I use in my 460 along with a 4 magnet flywheel. It will be the same as the 625's charging system. An 18-20 amp charging system. I used a Kohler 25 amp rectifier. I run 2 hi/lo quartz halogen headlights - all led stop tail and turn lights - a wiper motor and a fan. No problems.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gaso...ceBeautifyAB=0
Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Shepherd you are the best!(huge thanks)

I can get the rectifier at a local mower shop.(I’ll need the part number if you can get it)

I’ll order one soon as I want to keep this engine as a spare or for another cart after I get my 625

I know I’ll have to pull the flywheel to get to it but I don’t mind as it will be worth it.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Shepherd you are the best!(huge thanks)

I can get the rectifier at a local mower shop.(I’ll need the part number if you can get it)

I’ll order one soon as I want to keep this engine as a spare or for another cart after I get my 625

I know I’ll have to pull the flywheel to get to it but I don’t mind as it will be worth it.
This is the rectifier I used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Koh...YAAOSw2iNZYUpy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!