lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Problem charging 2013 Precedent

A month or so ago I purchased a used 2013 Precedent from a local dealer. I'll give all the details while trying to be as concise as possible. The speed setting is turned up (to 4 i think is how he described it) and it does have a 3 inch lift and larger tires.

2/4/16 Cart delivered to my house.

I rode around just a little and got out my volt meter to check to see how charged it was. I don't remember where it was at but I continued to check battery voltage before and after riding cart. Before I got too far from home I was trying to get a good idea of how long it would take to drain the batteries.

Batteries are all full of water. My wife, baby and I weigh about 325 lb combine, no other equipment or supplies with us on trips described below.

The following weekend (two days after cart delivered) I planned on going for a ride so I plugged the cart in in the morning. Shortly after it was done charging my wife, child and I rode around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes I came to a stop and the battery light came on. My volt meter agreed that the batteries were now under 48V. I went to see the dealer on Monday and he promptly went to my house to pick up the cart. He called a week later to say that he thought since it had been cold out the batteries needed to go through a few discharge cycles. He said that he did that and ran a discharge test on the cart and felt it was operating as intended.

Following is a log I have kept detailing each time I have checked voltage on the cart.

2-12-16 Cart dropped off by dealer. When I came home cart was on the charger and the charger was done charging. Voltage read 49.9. Drove for 13 min, Voltage 48.8. Put back on charger.

2-13-16 12:30pm 40 degrees cart on charger, charger off, 49.6V. Unplugged and replugged charger.
12:50pm done charging, 53V, left plugged in.
2:15pm 50V. Unplugged, replugged.
2:35 52V, unplugged and left off charger.
4:50pm 49.8V. Plugged in and turned switch to tow
5:00pm 54V each battery reads 8.9V
5:24 46 degrees, 50.9V. Went for a 17 minute ride with wife. Came back, voltage at 48.5V

2-14-16 46 degrees in garage, has been plugged in to charger, 49.8V

2-19-16 Appx 70 in garage has been on charger all week in tow mode, 49.1V

2-20-16 49.1V, unplugged and replugged (has just stayed plugged in )

2-21-16 49.6V.

2.26-16, has been plugged in all week in tow mode, 49V

2-27-16 49V - drove to clubhouse (less than 1/2 mi) and back. plugged back in

2-28-16 49.4V

2-29-16 10:40am 49.1. unplugged and replugged charger. checked at 6:35pm 49.8V

3-5-6 Has been plugged in all week. 48.8V

Based on charts I have found on this forum 51V is charged and 48V is about as discharged as the cart needs to get. I'm not sure what kind of problem I have but I do feel like the performance described above is not normal?? Any advise will be helpful. My cart is supposed to have a one year warranty so I'd like some other opinions before I go back.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Problem charging 2013 Precedent

Sounds like bad barrettes to me. What is the date code on batteries? Should be stamped near Neg post. Something like c6 would be March 2016. Also check each battery, it may be just one bad battery.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

What kind of batteries does it have and do they have a date stamp on them? But it seems around here the rule is, be prepared to replace the batteries if you buy a used cart. Forgot what part of the country are you in?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I agree with these guys. Sounds like batteries. Waiting to see what kind they are.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Sounds like batteries for sure. Like the others asked, the date code will help.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Wow guys, thanks for all the response. The batteries say pd plus, I think they are original. The only thing that looks like it might be a date stamp is a small square sticker with a barcode and under the barcode it says K2.

I suspected batteries may be the issue. Here is my predicament. The cart was sold with a one year warranty, which the guy told me would include replacing a bad battery if that occurred during that time. I feel that I bought it with one or more bad batteries with the information you all have given me. At the time of sale he said that anytime in the next two years he will install a full set of batteries for $575, which seems like a good deal, but I hate to do any more business with him if he won't even stand behind the warranty. I have a battery tester, the "toaster" style. Can I use that to load test the batteries? If so can I do that while they are all still hooked together? I figure that way I may be able to identify just one bad battery. I may just need to bite the bullet and go buy a set of batteries. Also should the charger be coming back on when the voltage drops that low? I thought the club car charger was a maintenance type charger. jjance I'm in upstate SC. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson521dc View Post
Wow guys, thanks for all the response. The batteries say pd plus, I think they are original. The only thing that looks like it might be a date stamp is a small square sticker with a barcode and under the barcode it says K2.

I suspected batteries may be the issue. Here is my predicament. The cart was sold with a one year warranty, which the guy told me would include replacing a bad battery if that occurred during that time. I feel that I bought it with one or more bad batteries with the information you all have given me. At the time of sale he said that anytime in the next two years he will install a full set of batteries for $575, which seems like a good deal, but I hate to do any more business with him if he won't even stand behind the warranty. I have a battery tester, the "toaster" style. Can I use that to load test the batteries? If so can I do that while they are all still hooked together? I figure that way I may be able to identify just one bad battery. I may just need to bite the bullet and go buy a set of batteries. Also should the charger be coming back on when the voltage drops that low? I thought the club car charger was a maintenance type charger. jjance I'm in upstate SC. Thanks again for all the help!
If you bought it from a dealer, they should have a discharge machine and they should be familiar with discharge times. Per Club Car policy, a set of batteries that discharges below 60 minutes on a Club Car discharge machine are considered bad. If it's got a warranty, they should swap batteries one at a time starting at the worst and working their way up until they change enough of them to get you a passing discharge time. Just be aware that this is just a band-aid fix and that all of the batteries are more than likely in very similar condition.

Let me explain,

A discharge machine puts a load on the entire battery pack. It has a digital readout on the front of the machine with a timer on it that keeps track of how long the machine has been running. When the batteries drop below 42 volts while discharging, the machine will then turn off and the final discharge time will remain lit on the screen. Let's say it's 52 minutes and 32 seconds. They would then turn the discharge machine back ON and take a multimeter and check each battery individually, while loaded by the machine, and find the weakest battery. The batteries should then be re-charged and the bad battery should be swapped with a good used battery. The process will then be repeated. If you still get a time under 60 minutes, change the next weakest battery. Repeat process until discharge time is over 60 minutes.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

So today I took my cart to another local dealer. They tested my batteries and found three bad batteries. I'm having them install a set of interstate batteries and a new set of cables. I called to see about just buying a set of batteries and they told me if I'd bring the cart they'd test the batteries for me to make sure that was the problem before I spent over $500. I'll let you guys know how it performs after the new batteries are installed.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson521dc View Post
So today I took my cart to another local dealer. They tested my batteries and found three bad batteries. I'm having them install a set of interstate batteries and a new set of cables. I called to see about just buying a set of batteries and they told me if I'd bring the cart they'd test the batteries for me to make sure that was the problem before I spent over $500. I'll let you guys know how it performs after the new batteries are installed.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

For as few and far between that golf cart customers are you would think that these dealers would try and take care of their customers. Instead of take the money and run. I'm talking about the dealer that sold you the cart.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car