lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Tahoe Terror
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Driven Clutch?

Hey guys, let me preface this by thanking all of you for your input, you've saved me a great deal of money over the years!

Anyway, I have a 2001 gas club car DS that no longer drives. I was driving it up a hill in our neighborhood and it started revving up while slowing down. Before I knew it, it was at a dead stop and revved out making this horrible noise from the rear. I took a look at the drive and driven clutches and both appear to be operating but then again, aside from some searches on here and some serious time spent on YouTube, I am pretty unfamiliar with them as a whole.

The driven clutch seems to be spinning and compressing normally, but when it revs up, it'll catch very briefly and make a god awful bang/scrape noise from somewhere near the driven clutch/rear end.

I included this video, I hope you guys can help me sort it out. Thanks in advance!

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/jibb...4377a.mp4.html
Tahoe Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Driven Clutch?

I watched the video once and didn't hear anything, so I closed my eyes and just listened to it and still didn't hear anything that sounded out of the ordinary (?).
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

spring you didnt catch that ? the helix is broken and the snap ring is popped , the back of the clutch is grinding against the rear end housing , best bet would be to replace the driven clutch as they tend not like staying together once they have broken , also check the input shaft seal since it is usually destroyed in the process and replace as needed , most of all don't run the cart you will just keep grinding and the input shaft could get damaged

heres a new one cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/Club-Car-DS-...item3f32e739e0
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Just listened to it again with headphones and still nothing. What time does it occur at?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
Tahoe Terror
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for your input guys. I realize now the video isn't that clear. Let me run it again and shoot a better one in the morning and see if I can clear things up a little.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Tahoe Terror
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I realize this is over a year late but I am just getting back home (I work in the gold mining industry, I spend a lot of the year on the other side of the world) and I pulled this thing out of the shed to attempt to fix again. I removed the wheel well so I could take off the bolt and try to pry the clutch off and low and behold, the bolt was gone, the key was gone, and the entire clutch slides on, off and around the shaft freely.

What do I need to fix it, guys? It seems like I could just slide a new key in and put a new bolt in and be off but I don't know much about the assembly. Is that how it works? I also read somewhere I may have to preload the spring and I am curious how much and by what method? I also need to know what size bolt goes in that hole and what threads it uses, and what size key fits that shaft and where to get all of it! It's a 2001 DS.

Thanks a lot guys, it would be great to have this thing back on the course tomorrow!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome back TT!

Key ~ 3/16 square X 1 1/2" long
Bolt ~ 5/16-18 X 3/4"
Washer ~ 5/16 Belleville spring
CC suggests using a Belleville spring washer over a standard lock/flat washer, or you might lose the bolt again!

I might suggest to roll the drive belt off of the clutch, remove the clutch from the input shaft and inspect both of them!
IF... the clutch stays all together after removing it, you wont have to worry about spring preload!
IF... it falls apart when removed, you might need a new driven clutch!

Good luck!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Tahoe Terror
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Excellent response!! Thanks so much! I will pull the clutch off, see if it holds and go from there!
Old 05-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Post back to let us know what you found!

Feel free to send me some gold... that is... just as long as it hasn't been "where the sun don't shine"! (j/k)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Feel free to send me some gold... that is... just as long as it hasn't been "where the sun don't shine"! (j/k)
I'll take any gold Lockman won't, I don't particularly care what bodily orifice it has been in!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car