lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Jag
Not Yet Wild

Default Ignitor

Anyone have any ideas what would cause the ignitor to fail? I had a battery cable short out and tried to put new cables on. I did not realize it needed to be grounded on the motor as well as the frame (fender). I only grounded it to the fender and have had problems since. I thought it was the voltage regulator but that was not it. It is definitely the ignitor. I called a dealer and they acted like they have never heard of this. I want to make sure when I get a new ignitor I do not have the same problems. I have a wiring diagram and everything looks correct. The dealer acted like this was a rare thing to happen. The wires on the ignitor smoked for a little while and now the cart won't fire at all. I have everhthing put back like it was originally. When the cable failed my kids hit something causing the battery to move and the pos. hit the frame causing the neg. battery cable to burn. I put a new end on the cable. I wish I would have done that in the first place..Would have save me a lot of money!!!!!!!!!!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Ignitor

All kinds of strange things can happen when you don't have the cart properly grounded. The current will take any and all paths available to complete the circuit, this can lead to things like melted wires and welded choke cables to name a few things.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
littletodd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Anyone have any ideas what would cause the ignitor to fail? I had a battery cable short out and tried to put new cables on. I did not realize it needed to be grounded on the motor as well as the frame (fender). I only grounded it to the fender and have had problems since. I thought it was the voltage regulator but that was not it. It is definitely the ignitor. I called a dealer and they acted like they have never heard of this. I want to make sure when I get a new ignitor I do not have the same problems. I have a wiring diagram and everything looks correct. The dealer acted like this was a rare thing to happen. The wires on the ignitor smoked for a little while and now the cart won't fire at all. I have everhthing put back like it was originally. When the cable failed my kids hit something causing the battery to move and the pos. hit the frame causing the neg. battery cable to burn. I put a new end on the cable. I wish I would have done that in the first place..Would have save me a lot of money!!!!!!!!!!
how do you know it is the ignitor?
littletodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
All kinds of strange things can happen when you don't have the cart properly grounded. The current will take any and all paths available to complete the circuit, this can lead to things like melted wires and welded choke cables to name a few things.
Also - All kinds of strange things can happen when your kids drive your cart, too.

Seriously, Ignitors can and will fail. It is not a common problem, but it is a part that can eventually stop working. What Year, model and engine do you have?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO