lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery Cable nuts always just "alittle" loose?

Once a month, usually the first weekend of the month, I check over our 2015 RXV 48v with 2019 Trojan batteries. I check the tire pressure, add distilled water to the batteries, check for corrosion on cables and tighten the cables to the battery terminals. I know some will say I need to do this more often, BUT I also know of many carts here in Sun City Texas that get this kind of service ONLY two or three times a year. My question is this. The nuts holding the cables to the battery terminal post always need just a slight ( 1/8 to 1/4 ) turn to tighten. Does this sound correct? In my youth, working on cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles and even the kitchen toaster, Dad always said I stripped one screw or bolt/nut on every job. Over the years I learned from my mistakes and seldom strip one now. Am I just not getting them tight enough? Or is this a common trait of battery carts as the cables cycle through charging? Our cart, runs well, charges well, and has no other problems. Thanks guys!!!
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Battery Cable nuts always just "alittle" loose?

No they should not come loose like that. Something is wrong. Once they are properly tightened they should stay that way.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
No they should not come loose like that. Something is wrong. Once they are properly tightened they should stay that way.
THANK YOU. My guess it is just me, not "overtightning" in fear of stripping a battery terminal post. Next service I will "crank" them down a little more. THANKS!
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Don't over crank them or you will damage the posts on the battery. They should be tight but not over tightened. Get torque specs if you are not certain of how tight to make them.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

My 2018 Trojan nuts have never loosened, so I too suspect that you may not be tightening them properly (either over torqued or under torqued).

If you have not done so, it is best to invest in a small Inch - Pound torque wrench and torque them to the Trojan rated dry torque (no lubricants!) of 95 to 105 INCH - Pounds ... which is only 7.9 to 8.8 Foot - Pounds.

As Trojan states: "Tighten all cable connections to the proper specification to make sure there is good contact with the terminals. Over-tightening terminal connections can cause terminal breakage and loose connections can result in terminal meltdown or fire. Refer to Table 2 for the proper torque values based on the type of terminal on your battery."

See the attached Trojan Users Guide for more information, specifically pages 6 to 11 where battery connections and torques are covered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan 1 - Battery Users Guide - 2019-04-30.pdf (2.28 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:

The stud type battery terminal is simply a hex-head bolt embedded in the lead battery post. Lead is a very soft metal and if excessive torque is applied to the stud, the hex-head will move, deforming the lead so only the six points of the hex-head are in contact with the lead. Current (amps) density skyrockets after that happens and the resulting heat that is generated can melt the post.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #7
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

FWIW I have to snug down a majority of mine ever month. When I had T1275 batts six of the eight post broke loose from over torqueing. I'd rather tighten them a touch verses repairing then anchor lag bolts.
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Try adding a lock washer.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:34 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

1/4 turn is not a slight amount. Either they’re constantly over tightened and pulling the studs out, or they’re working loose from under tightening. The lead of the post will deform slightly the first time the post is tightened. After the first drive I usually will recheck them but never need to give more than a few degrees, like 10° or less of a turn.
After that I apply anti corrosion grease, and check the torque on them about once a year.
I have a few packs that the cables haven’t been off of in 6 years. Point being proper torque goes a long, long way.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #10
HarryT
Gone Wild

I don't like to disagree with Capt. Lenny but do NOT use lock washers as per Trojan and other manufactures. I maintain 63 carts on a golf course and many more for our club members and I would guess I have repaired dozens of battery posts that melted, that had lock washers on them.
Harry
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO