lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
robg9669@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Default Transaxle housing leaking fluid 2014 Drive

I'm new to golf carts and to this forum. Hoping someone and give some much needed information. My cart is leaking fluid from the drivers side rear axle housing. Right where the axle shaft comes out of the housing there is a bearing and a snap ring. At first I thought it was seeping from around that area but found it leaking from what looks like a weep hole directly underneath in the housing itself. I've looked at parts diagrams and only see a bearing listed but no seal. I don't want to tear into foolishly so I'm hoping that someone here can advise on what to do.
robg9669@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Transaxle housing leaking fluid 2014 Drive

Sorry, but you are boned my friend. The seal is all the way up in the axle. It requires a ton of labor (transaxle removal & total disassembly, split the whole axle in half). The seal gets changed only from the inside, totally impossible to change from the outside. All for a cheap little seal. Been there, done that, many times..... Broke a few tools doing it..

I can get you a part number for the seal.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
robg9669@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Well that's not what I was hoping for but kind of what I thought. Thank you for the info
robg9669@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

I've never tried it, but considered just tapping the hole and screwing a Allen head plug in the hole? It won't hurt, and if the leak just moves out to the wheel bearing, you would have to do the seal anyway.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
dgt
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sorry, but you are boned my friend. The seal is all the way up in the axle. It requires a ton of labor (transaxle removal & total disassembly, split the whole axle in half). The seal gets changed only from the inside, totally impossible to change from the outside. All for a cheap little seal. Been there, done that, many times..... Broke a few tools doing it..

I can get you a part number for the seal.
I have this exact same problem. It started when I changed the transaxle bearings along with transaxle fluid a couple of months ago. After replacing the bearings and filling the transaxle to the top of the fill hole, fluid started leaking out of both the right and left side weap holes. By the next day, the right side weap hole stopped leaking, but the left side (drivers side) continued to leak for another day. I topped the fluid off again and it leaked again out the left side weap hole for 24 hours.

My question is - how much fluid is left in the transaxle when it leaks through the weap hole until, I assume, the fluid level drops below the leaking seal level? Question #2 - since I've been driving the cart with the fluid at this level for a couple of months, should I assume I've destroyed the transaxle/brakes/etc? If so, it basically totals the cart because of the siignificant cost of these replacement parts. It is running fine with no noticable axle or braking issues that are obvious - but what's happening inside the axle I don't know.

Any additional information on this is appreciated. -Doug
dgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Ok, total fill quantity is 44oz (that fills it to the bottom of the threads. After it has leaked, fill it & record how much it took to top off. Subtract that number from 44. I can't say how long it will withstand being run low, but it can be assumed that damage will eventually occur, bearings & gears will get noisey. Just get it fixed, wanna wreck a whole golf cart over a $10 seal?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

robg9669@yahoo.com if you only fill the trans-axle to 44oz that might solve your problem. The Owners Manual and the Factory Service Manual states to use 1750 ml (1.85 quarts total). 1750 ml = 59.174 oz, just Google ml to oz and do the math for yourself. Here is a thread about this subject.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...fill-plug.html
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
dgt
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

When researching the specified amount of gear oil to add I found both 44 oz or 59 oz depending upon where you look.

Previously (a couple of months ago), I added 59 oz and the seal leaked. Today, I drained the transaxle and measured what was remaining - it had 45 oz of oil still in it (so it leaked 14 oz before the leak stopped at 45 oz).

Today, I refilled with 45 oz of new 80w90LS gear oil and will assume that is the right amount for my cart per cgtech and the various other places this amount was listed, and that I had just grossly overfilled it in the past causing the leak.

Overall, this is good news to know that I have likely not damaged my transaxle or brakes by operating with low gear oil.

p.s. - 45 oz doesn't come close to filling the transaxle until it overflows the fill hole as the manual suggests it should do when it is full. To do that on my transaxle it takes about 62 oz. of gear oil.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, there are "let's just call them 'discrepencies' " about fill levels. I have a stack of OEM service manuals at my disposal at work (so, not on the weekends). I know every Team axle (without leaks) I have found the fluid level to be at the bottom of the threads of the fill plug. And when I dump 44oz in there out of my measuring cup has filled it to that level. Team axle is supposed to be filled to the bottom of the threads. You may ask "how is he so sure 'bottom of the threads of the fill plug' is right?". Well, I'll say this, I started at our local dealership just before the first shipment of 2007 Drives arrived. And I was there when the YDRE "white tag axle" fiasco was in full-swing, with Yamaha personnel coming to our place to take oil samples from those axles to figure out what went wrong. If you look at the Team axles, the gas (JW1 version of the axle) is a mirror image of the electric (JW2 version of the axle) where all the oil sits. The top half is bigger to accommodate F & R gear functions, but the bottom half is the same (bottom half is where oil sits when filling it). If I'm wrong, maybe I'm wrong. But that axle is supposed to have oil up to the bottom of the threads of the fill hole.

Heres the cup I use for all my axle oil measuring/filing needs. I don't pour directly out the bottle into the axle. I pretty much have to use a measuring cup, my concoction of fluids is not just straight "Yamaha friction modified gear oil" as specified by the factory.

Here's how I typically do it. In the order of how I do it.

22oz of Yamaha "friction modified gear oil" (acc-shaft-lu-00), 10oz of Lucas oil stabilizer (that thick honey stuff). 2oz of friction modified juice from the parts store for positraction type axles. A smidge extra friction modified never hurt anyone, but too little makes the brakes work like crap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191025_184308.jpg (46.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
dgt
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

After reading cgtech's post above, I checked the gear oil level after I put in 45 oz, and my level was a little less than 1/4" below the bottom level of the fill hole threads. So I added additional gear oil until the level reached the bottom of the threads. It took 7 oz more, for a grand total of 52 oz to fill the gearbox to the bottom of the threads. My measurement was not as precise as cgtech, I'm going off of the measurement marks on the side of the 32 oz gear oil bottles, so I could be off an oz. And I'm not questioning cgtech experience - in fact just the opposite - just wondering why my gear box doesn't match the "44 oz to bottom of threads" that he's seen in the many other Team axles he's worked on.

So far, I have no leaks through the axle seal weap hole with this amount of gear oil. I'll replace the axle seals this winter anyway as a precaution, and will then use the gear oil concoction that gctech uses on the refill. My cart is used in extreme heat much of the year and is used to climb and descend a very long and steep hill regularly loaded with well over 650 lbs, so I want the best protection I can get for the gears and the brakes.

Thanks for your help and responses
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha