lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
NOClife
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Towed cart IN TOW MODE at slow speed motor leaking fluid

My 2013 Club Car Precedent recently just died while my wife was driving it. I think it "might" be the solenoid. I'm going to test that later to see if it is in fact bad. However, I decided to tow the cart home since we didn't live too far from where it died. I switched the cart into TOW mode but a few minutes down the road I noticed a smell and saw that the motor was leaking fluid. We were not going fast (under 10mph) and cart typically runs up to 25mph. The cart was also still beeping even though it was being towed from the front. I removed the main negative and we towed the rest of the way home at an even slower speed. I didn't notice any more fluid leaking out but the smell was still very strong.

Did I burn up my motor some how even though I put it in TOW mode? And is it supposed to still beep even in tow mode?

Cart info:
2013 Club car precedent
Lift with 23" tires
Stock motor
Stock controller with speed code
Stock magnet and speed sensor

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated.
NOClife is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Towed cart IN TOW MODE at slow speed motor leaking fluid

If the cart was beeping, the Tow/Run switch is not working.

Towing with the cart on Run will damage the Motor, Controller and possibly the harness near the controller 16-pin connector pin #9.

I am not sure what you saw leaking, but you may want to remove that motor for inspection and testing.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the motor was hot and smoking its possible some resin in the motor melted and that's what was dripping out.
Motor should be removed for inspection, but I would consider it toast, and not even repairable.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
NOClife
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Awesome! So I did what I was supposed to do and only made my problem much more costly. Looks like I'm going to have big garage decoration for a while. Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
NOClife
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The fluid was coming out between the motor and rear assembly. No smoke but strong smell coming from somewhere. I was hoping the motor just got too hot because it getting towed too fast and that maybe the fluid just leaked out a little due to pressure. Not ideal but I was hoping it wouldn't be catastrophic. However, the fact that you say the beeping indicates the tow switch wasn't working and that basically I was towing it in run mode still...makes me fear the worst.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately the Controller was powering the Motor to prevent it from turning, but with 23" tires and the power of a vehicle pulling it, it had no chance of stopping the cart.

The Tow/Run switch must have failed since the cart cannot sound the buzzer on Tow.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOClife View Post
The fluid was coming out between the motor and rear assembly. No smoke but strong smell coming from somewhere. I was hoping the motor just got too hot because it getting towed too fast and that maybe the fluid just leaked out a little due to pressure. Not ideal but I was hoping it wouldn't be catastrophic. However, the fact that you say the beeping indicates the tow switch wasn't working and that basically I was towing it in run mode still...makes me fear the worst.
There is NO FLUID in the motor, so if fluid was leaking out, something in the motor got too hot and melted.
It's possible the input seal on the axle was damaged, that would also be due to severe overheating.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gear oil in the transfer case would be the only stock fluid near the motor in any way.
New controller and motor is in your future though. And get your run tow switch fixed while you’re adding your new components.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
jacobsond
Getting Wild

Motor windings burning smell is a very strong smell. Its very very different than oil. Can you describe the smell. Did the cart push easy or was there resistance? Did you determine what caused the cart to die? Maybe the failure was before the tow and you are just seeing the symptom.
jacobsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
NOClife
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I haven't looked at the solenoid yet to determine if that was the cause of the initial breakdown yet. Cart was towed only after it stopped working in the first place. I was "guessing" that it was probably the solenoid.

Best way to describe the smell: Similar to electrical but with a hint of burnt gear oil. I'm guessing the windings are toast and the motor was so hot from that causing the gear oil to leak out and also burn off a bit while it was leaking. In any case I'm sure I killed my motor and probably the controller as well based on the smell and that it seems to not have been in tow mode.

Thanks for all of the replies guys! Maybe I'll get lucky once I'm into it, but I doubt it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car