Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Golf Carts and Parts
Golf Carts and Parts *No Commercial Ads

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #111
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brakes

Will these brakes work with the jake's hydraulic front brakes?
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #112
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have hydraulic brakes in front and cable brakes in the rear the front braking power will greatly exceed the rear capability. The result will be a braking system with much greater pressures at the front wheels than the rears. It will lock the fronts up on loose or wet surfaces.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #113
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Got my brakes today Andy,Thanks
shopdog39702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #114
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you have hydraulic brakes in front and cable brakes in the rear the front braking power will greatly exceed the rear capability. The result will be a braking system with much greater pressures at the front wheels than the rears. It will lock the fronts up on loose or wet surfaces.
I always have more questions than answers, but does that mean that the hyd. front brakes are not a good idea,or will mech. disc on the rear be un-neccessary if you have hyd. fronts?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #115
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Brakes

Mixing isn't a good idea. You need to stick with Hydrolic's on the rear or stay with what you have now.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #116
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Andy is right..... the auto industry tried this in the 80s when disc brakes first became popular.
The braking pressure is much greater in disc than drum and again it is greater in hydraulic verses mechanical (cable or rod operated)
It is very very hard to balance the brake pressure with different types of brakes on the same peddle.... I'm told by those who experimented with this that even when they did get the system to work good, it would not stay evened out and soon it was locking up in front again... I haven't tried it, Mostly because I drove those cars in the snow and rain....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #117
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well,I have a set of front hydraulics in the garage,I never got a chance to install them yet, with the surgery and all. I will install the fronts when I start feeling up to it.I was just wondering if the rears would make a difference along with the fronts. I don't think jake's has an add on kit for the rears ...or do they? If not I'll deal with the old school front disc-rear drum set up.It has to be better then just the rear drums that I have now.
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #118
shopdog39702
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok,here's what I got: I have the mech. disc from Andy(rear) and the hydraulic frts. that I got with the 4x4 kit. I haven't installed anything yet,but the drum brakes on original hubs were shot. So,if I'm only going to install one of them,do I need to go mech. disc rear and no front? I can use one or the other on future jobs so its no great loss either way
Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #119
Pique
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Andy

If there is enough interest for a second order, are you up for it? I could use a set of disc brakes on my cart. Gotta show it some love.
Pique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disc brakes
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Golf Carts and Parts