lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
cocoabill
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha drive 12v to 8v conversion

I though this was going to be easy but I couldn't find anything that discusses this. I have a 2008 Yamaha Drive that has four 48V batteries, I want to install six 8V. The floor if this cart is recessed to hold the four 12V if you try to put an 8V in the center it's held up by the floor too high for seat to close. It looks like the panel in the floor is replaceable but could not find a part or photo on-line. Anybody know what is required beyond a different set of wires?
cocoabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Yamaha drive 12v to 8v conversion

This older thread may be helpful...

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=139688
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
cocoabill
Not Yet Wild

Perfect, thanks. My guess is there is a try made to hold the six batteries, but Yamaha doesn't want you to find it.
cocoabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, i've found a parts list, but no batt tray... You could send a PM to member CGtech ( Yamaha dealer ), he should know something. As Yamaha OEM parts are pretty expensive, a self solution would save some money for sure.
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

This is strange. Both of my carts have stock trays that hold 6x8V batteries. Both are Yamaha drive carts. One is 2009 and the other is 2012.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yamaha released the DRV in 2007 with (4) 12 volt batteries.
In either 2008 or 2009 they released an optional battery tray for (6) 8 volt batteries. The tray was a modified G-22 battery tray made from steel. You would cut out the existing tray and bolt in the modified G-22 tray. You could order the car with the modified tray or order the kit and do it your self. We were modifying entire fleets.
2011 was the year that Yamaha released the new style floor pan that would accept either configuration.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Makes sense and agrees with what my two carts have. The 2012 has a plastic tray that can take either - mine came with 6 x 8V. My 2009 has a modified metal tray that was set up for 8x6 or 6x8V. The guy that had my 2009 originally had 8 x 6V in it but when I bought it there were 6x8V in it. Now it's lithium.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Plowman's Carts has a conversion kit. It comes with the tie rods, spacer and cables.
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnTX View Post
Plowman's Carts has a conversion kit. It comes with the tie rods, spacer and cables.
I have looked on his site and cant find this kit. Can you post a link?
I'm curious to see why a battery conversion kit needs tie rods.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:06 AM   #10
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Makes sense and agrees with what my two carts have. The 2012 has a plastic tray that can take either - mine came with 6 x 8V. My 2009 has a modified metal tray that was set up for 8x6 or 6x8V. The guy that had my 2009 originally had 8 x 6V in it but when I bought it there were 6x8V in it. Now it's lithium.
You don't see many Drvs with the 8 x 6V configuration. It was great if you needed the power/run time but overkill for a golf car. It was a nice set up for the utility vehicles.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha