lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G29 let the smoke out

Hello everyone,

I guess I had too much weight on the old girl and it appears I smoked the motor brushes. I haven’t taken apart yet as it’s at my camper. Ive always intended to get the D and D motor this winter as I upgraded solenoid and controller (altrax) to 500 amp a few weeks ago, wires were all swapped to 2/0. I didn’t want to mess with the motor until I got it home but fate had other plans. I would order the new motor now but it appears that won’t help me for up to 4 weeks. I’ll have to nurse the stock motor for another 5 weeks until our season is over. My question is: should anything else be replaced with the brushes? Anything else that could be a concern?
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 let the smoke out

You need to disassemble and look at the commutator. It may be toast if it failed the brushes. The stock Hitachi motor does not last long with an Alltrax controller in my experience.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

As always, Thank you VA for your fast response. If there is no physical damage, which I won’t know until Saturday what do you think my odds of getting a few more weekends are by cleaning the commutator with scotch brite and lectra clean and new brushes? I’m not looking for a permanent fix. Just a stop gap until the winter and hopefully the supply chain issues clear up for a new motor. I’m going to call D and D today to see what kind of time frame I’m realistically looking at. Online it just says 1-4 weeks depending on your motor selection.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You should be able to get some more life out of the motor if the commutator isn't too badly damaged. New brushes are not that expensive and are fairly easy to install. Cleaning is half the battle. I would also limit the max current in the Alltrax to 300 amps if you have not already done that. I quickly killed the motor in my first G29 when I installed Lithium and Alltrax controller. It ran great for a few weeks but the motor could not take the power I was giving it. Part of the problem was that my cart had high speed 9:1 gears in it which is much harder on the motor.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
LatonkaPiranha
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Sean -

I sent you a PM.
LatonkaPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well it was too badly damaged lol, as soon as I pulled it apart I knew there was no fixing that one. Fortunately after a call to D and D I was able to get the high torque motor in 10 days, which wasn’t terrible. Thanks for the info all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha