lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '96 medalist husky BB and major upgrade completed

This is my 4th major upgrade over the years. The options keep getting better and better.

new components:

-husky BB
-CU SW202 reversing contactor
-400amp solenoid
-Renogy battery monitor
-2ga wiring
-15:1 rear end rebuild

existing components:

-Summit Lester II 30600 charger 36-48v
-AllTrax SPM 400 series controller
-late 90's GE Beast series motor, 1600 rpm 8hp at 36v

The build went surprisingly well. I especially like the CU reversing contactor and rocker switch. Setting this large unit between the controller and motor cut cable lengths in half.

The wiring side had me in a fit of concern. When I started, the pre-existing wiring worked fine, but did not completely match any diagram. The CU diagram looked too simple. I followed it hoping it would all work out. Sure enough, everything great! Thanks Scotty for putting the time into that diagram.

I still have some issues to sort out. Am seeing a "fault" on the charger, with a "charge complete" light on the Summit. 100% showing on the Renogy. When I open up the charge connect app, the fault code says "voltage too high". 53.4volts at full charge. The charger is putting out 54.5volts at 660watts. I uploaded the lithium profile # 22226. There is also a message on the app saying lithium support is coming. I don't know what to do next on the charger side.

With the running gear (1600rpm @36v, likely about 2300rpm @48v), 23" tires, and 15:1 rear end, sustained full speed over 1/2mile is 15mph, pulls 52amps, and 2.5kw (~3.4hp). The torque is impressive, nice brodies in the dirt. It is hard to say what peak amp pull is as the monitor display is jumping so quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Renogy mount.jpg (164.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Medalist upgrade.jpg (115.4 KB, 0 views)
once_for_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 AM   #2
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: '96 medalist husky BB and major upgrade completed

I contacted Lester re the charger fault. They got back to me right away! I was told that the RoyPows would trigger the same charger fault, and that the profile 22210 might solve my BB as well.

That seems to have worked, so far. Full load voltage went from 53.3 to 54.0, meaning that the charger was quitting before filling up the battery.

I'm still not sure how the BMS figures into this. Presumably, a charger on Lithium profile should simply throw out 56volts or so until the BMS shuts off flow. Charger should then shut off when amps quit flowing.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

first serious use, 2 hr steady 0-3mph weed spraying. Went from 105ah to 72ah, generally at the rate of 5-20amps.

Keeping the accelerator pedal slightly depressed kept the main solenoid from cycling...I could stay at 0mph for 10 seconds or so while I sprayed large patches of weeds, then moving on to the next area.

So, at the end of the 2hrs, I could keep my hand on the motor continuously. It was definitely very warm.

The forward-reverse solenoid was a different story, it was too hot to keep my hand on.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:01 PM   #4
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finished up the rest of the upgrade. Jake's long travel A Arm kit, front disc brakes, new steering rack, new tie rod ends. I can actually stop going down a hill now, and I should be able to handle the dirt clods much better now.

I have a polaris ranger EV, wonderful machine--but it can't do what this Ezgo does so easily--spot spray weeds. Sit in the passenger side, steer with left arm, spray with right arm, work accelerator with left foot---very efficient piece of farm equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo with Jakes.jpg (181.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo with Jakes2.jpg (183.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool build. With those rear tires I bet you have traction for days!

As for the BMS vs Charger relationship, the charger should charge to your cutoff point and shut off. The BMS shouldn't have to cut it off unless something went awry with the charger or the cells become too far out of balance. This way you have a redundant system. If instead you have a charge that just throws out current and rely on the BMS for cutoff then the BMS is the singular safety in your system so if it fails it'll cause big issues.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #6
once_for_all
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for that advice! I bought a 12 hour, 20amp rated, basic timer, and it was easy to calculate hours to full charge and add a few minutes for balancing.

Still trying to learn the best way to make these batteries last. Older Leaf battery charging recommended 80%/20% range. I may try that regime, since there are a lot more amp-hours available than I need.

Ya, traction is pretty good. But, I wasn't after traction...I was after a tall skinny tire that would bust a dirt clod. I had wide ATV tires on it before, and it caught a lot more bumps making for a terrible ride. The ribbed fronts are good for turning. With the ATV tires it would skate sideways and I could not make a 12' radius turn at the end of a row.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO