lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

Default 1981 G1 good or bad ?

Here is a pic of the cart,Just wondering if this year of a cart can be lifted ? Alot of the kits I see start at 82' what is the difference and can the kit be modified to fit ?
Alos wondering in general if this is a bad cart ?Or what to check for when buying the cart ?
Thanks,
Raz

RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1981 G1 good or bad ?

BTW: On the end of the starter/generator (the yellow object) is that some kind of cooling prop the has been broken off ? If so, are these still available ?
Thanks,
Raz
Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
IH8GOLF
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Try Jake's, they make lift kits for the G-1.
IH8GOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
racinghauler
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBarlow View Post
BTW: On the end of the starter/generator (the yellow object) is that some kind of cooling prop the has been broken off ? If so, are these still available ?
Thanks,
Raz
Nothing is broke off the end of the starter / generator. My 82 is the same way. The things I would check for are the wiring to see if is has been spliced beond reconition, brake cables to make sure the housings are not melted or cracked, hoses dryrotted, rear end leaks, and make sure it runs good without any weird noises. Looks to be in fair shape. Up here that cart would go for around $500 to $900.
racinghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
gatorgitter
Not Yet Wild

I agree ; check the electrical carefully. Most of my problems have been electrical related , especailly the solenoids ; they are kinda expensive to replace and can only be repaired so many times. Mine is an 81 , but I think 82 is kinda of an odd-ball year ; not all g1 parts will fit an 82. ( No offence to those of y'all that have one )

Mine currently doesn't like to stat when hot ; I suspect bad engine seals, so you might want to run it kinda hard, and see... From what I see, this one in better shape than mine

Is the oil premix or injected ? I prefer premix , and run it a liitle thick, since it gets ridden so hard.

I dont have a lift, so I can help there, but remember, it's a 27 yr old cart

good luck,
gator.
gatorgitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

Here is what has been done to the cart recently. It was leaking oil onto the floor of the co-workers garage so he took it into the shop. They thought the crankcase seals were leaking and then after it was ran then it would eventually leak spots onto the floor.Well, he got it back from the shop and it still did the same thing.He called the shop up and they took it back in and found out that the oil injector pump itself was leaking.So, it does have new crankshaft seals and a new injector pump .If this would help out the deal any.I am thinking that $750 will probably buy this cart.Does this sound about right ?
I was also wondering if I put a lift kit on this cart and put atv tires on it,would it still have enough power to pull itself ? It is fairly snappy right now.I was told that two strokes lose alot of power if you put bigger tires on them
Thanks,
Raz
Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

BTW; Notice I live in Iowa and it is the "Iowa Hawkeye" model . LOL
Raz
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
RedNeck Rhino
Getting Wild

the lift kit didn't hurt mine any. With a 6" jakes lift it's recomended to only go up to a 22" tire anyway. I've been thinking about going a little bigger on mine to get a lil' more top end. I put a Torque kit on it this past weekend and it lost some top end, but this thing will CRAWL now!!
RedNeck Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

What does the "torque kit " consist of ? Have any pics of the parts ?Or where to get them ? What Jakes kit did you get ?
Thanks,
raz
Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
RazBarlow
Gone Wild

We met at a price of $750 for the cart.Is that about the going rate of a cart in this condition ?
If so, I will go with the cabbage tomorrow and pick it up.
Thanks,
raz
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha