lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question Opinions on battery life

My work cart (03 XRT 900) is in need of a set of batteries again, it just got a set in November of 2018. It has 8 T-105s in it, and it gets used and ran 5 days a week and sits on the charger over night every night. I do most of my own maintenence on it and I check the water every other Friday and top them off with distilled water when needed.
I drive it about 3-5 miles a day I would guess and it has 2 tool boxes that stay loaded and I pull trailers frequently.
The only "mods" that have been made are a set of #2 cables that I made and a magnet swap and it averages about 22-24 mph.
Does 2 years seem like average life expectancy out of a set new set of Trojans for a cart that gets used every day to you guys?
I don't really have a point of reference so I was just looking to get some input.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Opinions on battery life

Get Lithium and all that work (maintanance) goes away, plus better performance and life. As much as you use your cart, You will not be sorry.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

My apologies,that's in the works for my personal cart, but for the sake of this conversation, by work cart I meant my cart that I use at my job.
The transportation super seems to think I go through batteries more than average but, he's in charge of maintaining a fleet of 260 carts, so he may be confusing me with someone else.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Seems a little short. Charging every night means 2 years = 730 charge cycles. This is probably where your pack go used up.
Note that 105 is the smallest 6v cart battery so that's never the best choice. I run 8 T145 in my industrial cart. We charge once a week or so with daily use but nowhere near the miles you do.
I would go with bigger batteries and fewer charge cycles.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not sure why this is in the Club Car section, but battery issues are the same. A two year failure rate seems like something else is at fault.

Please provide:

1) individual battery voltage before and after charging.
2) Pack voltage before and after charging.
3) Pack voltage minimums during operation.
4) Specific gravity of each cell in each battery before and after charging.

Others here can then describe what is going on to help you troubleshoot the cart.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Age by itself is not a good determination of battery life, but only of maintenance neglect.

Unless you have an amp-hour meter to measure the DOD (depth of discharge) of each cycle, you cannot compare battery life experiences.

Keep in mind those life expectancy graphs assume the battery is good if it can stay above 1.75vpc or 42v for the pack and most folks replace the batteries long before that for performance reasons.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
Murby
Gone Wild

Are you sure your batteries are dying? It could just be one bad battery with a bad cell.
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm working on an electric Club Car, so I opted for the electric Club Car section to post in.

I'll get some readings from the individual batteries and pack first thing in the morning to get some base line readings.
The determination on which batteries I get isn't up to me, otherwise I would get the 145's.
I don't think not charging it every night is a possibility, it barely makes it through the day now, it wouldn't make it that far without charging nightly.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Are there other carts with same conditions at workplace? Their batteries lasting longer? Those batteries are getting a lot of work on them, it wouldn't surprise me if they are getting used up that quick. I've read they are rated for 350-500 cycles and you are doing that in one year. I know your boss ain't going to spring for lithium (rated 3500 cycles), but sounds like he would save tons of money in the long run. Replacing T105's @ $1500 every 2-3 years for 10 years is about $6,000. Get the roypow for $2,200 that should last 15 years.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I drive it about 3-5 miles a day I would guess and it has 2 tool boxes that stay loaded and I pull trailers frequently.

Does 2 years seem like average life expectancy out of a set new set of Trojans for a cart that gets used every day to you guys?
Heavy work carts suck a lot of power ... pulling trailers even sucks more.

What type of terrain are you driving on?

It would be interesting to know what your state of charge is at the beginning of your work day and at the end of your work day. It sounds like you have maintained your batteries very well. I suspect that after 3 to 5 mile of heavy duty use, you are likely drawing those batteries down pretty good and that is likely a typical life cycle for your usage conditions.

The readings that Tom47 has suggested will go a long way to helping diagnose your the battery condition that you are experiencing.

I'm thinking that it may be time to replace your battery pack.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car