lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
stu07hd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Brake light wiring

Our local town is in the process of creating an ordinance for carts on local streets. There are several requirements, one of which is brake lights. I have a tail light/brake light combo on my cart now, but the brake lights are not hooked up.

I have found the switch kits that are for club cars for about $30 dollars plus shipping. It has the cut-off that will shut them off when the parking brake is set. Anyone installed them themselves and can give me tips or pointers or any alternative suggestions?
stu07hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Brake light wiring

Well... when I consitered putting in brake lights,
I didn't like the idea of having the exposed switch and wire for the parking (hill) brake,

BUT... I was able to get just the 1 switch and bracket for under the floorboard, and wired it to the key switch.

Then I had another dilemma... I tend to stop at different campsites to have some adult beverages, and leave the key on,
And, that's just a dead battery waiting to happen!

Tom (Dixie Sales/Cart Parts Plus.com) had told me how to get my cart to idle by disconnecting 1 wire... I did that,
And now, when I pull up to have an adult beverage at a campsite, I turn the key off, the engine shuts off,
and, so do the brake lights!

I'm not sure if that's the way YOU want to do it... but, it works perfectly for me!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

My cart is operated exclusively on public streets, so I installed a full light kit, including the brake lights and parking brake interrupt.

CC had pre-drilled the mounting holes, so installation was easy, or it least should have been. The instructions in my kit were wrong, clearly showing that both switches wired the same: normally open or normally closed, I forget which. In reality, at least on the DS, one is N.O., the other is N.C.
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
chachi44089
Getting Wild

I have a street cart as well. I didnt like the switch kit they offer because I think it is too complex for a simple brake light because you need two switches and a bracket and several wires. I simply found a hot wire in the "black box" that was switched by the key and hooked up a brake light switch for a motorcycle, its the type that use a spring to activate it. Its also waterproof. When you pull the spring the switch makes contact, and it mounts in a 3/8" hole. I drilled a hole in the frame below the shifter and hooked the spring to the place where the brake cables come together. You have to adjust the spring tension a little to get it just right, but it works great, and its not anywhere where sticks or things may mess it up. I purchased the switch at a local motorcycle shop for 10 bucks. I think it was made for one of those cheap imported motor bikes "pocket bike?". You do have to remember to turn off the key when the parking brake is set, but that was an easy thing to get in the habit of.
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
stu07hd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I ended up buying the kit sold at buggiesunlimited.com for about $30.00. The install was a piece of cake and functions well. I was thought it was a bit expensive, but I am very satisfied with it. Thanks for the opinions.
stu07hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu07hd View Post
I ended up buying the kit sold at buggiesunlimited.com for about $30.00. The install was a piece of cake and functions well. I was thought it was a bit expensive, but I am very satisfied with it. Thanks for the opinions.
easy there stu! from what i rember them there are fighting words on here! if im wrong sorry! but i do not recall b.u. as a site sponsor and we love our sponsors! like tom at ccp! i made a mistake earlier, they threaten me with a broom and a thong!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car