lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
thiggins18
Not Yet Wild

Default Electrical Question (Battery Related)

I purchased a Emerge 48SS 2010 just before Christmas. It has pretty much sat in the garage since. I live in michigan and its too cold to drive lol. Anyways, I want to get another battery and mount it in the trunk to power only the stereo. Is there some sort of module or something I can hook up the batteries that will allow the stereo battery to charge with the rest of the batteries?

I just want to be able to charge it with the one charger and be completley independent of the other batteries.
thiggins18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Electrical Question (Battery Related)

No expert here, but any reason to not drive the stereo with a 48-12 voltage reducer?
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Timdelta
Getting Wild

Tomberlin

I have the same cart and am doing the same thing. I was looking at buying a full size battery like already in the cart (US Battery) but in 12v. I have since changed to a smaller 12v AGM type battery (like used in the powered chairs) and will attach a battery tender or battery minder 1.3 amp to it. I am going to splice into the existing power cord. The end result is one plug like we have now and the 1.3a increase shouldn't overwhelm the power requirements. I am going to run a alarm, and some lights off of this battery.
Timdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
thiggins18
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
No expert here, but any reason to not drive the stereo with a 48-12 voltage reducer?
If I do the 48-12 reducer wont all the batteries be on the same series? I live 2 miles from a beach, and we frequentley party at and I wanted to prevent burning through all the power listening to the radio, and then not having enough charge to get us home.

I am unclear of the use of the batteryMinder / batteryTender, can you elaborate what the purpose of these are?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins18 View Post
I purchased a Emerge 48SS 2010 just before Christmas. It has pretty much sat in the garage since. I live in michigan and its too cold to drive lol. Anyways, I want to get another battery and mount it in the trunk to power only the stereo. Is there some sort of module or something I can hook up the batteries that will allow the stereo battery to charge with the rest of the batteries?

I just want to be able to charge it with the one charger and be completley independent of the other batteries.

This is like having your cake and eating it too
The standard charger is not going to charge an additional 12v ...... You will need a voltage reducer or another charger. A good reducer will be the simplest way to go .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Timdelta
Getting Wild

Tomberlin

battery minder/battery tender are very small chargers maintainers. I think one is better than the other, I would have to look them up to tell them apart. Go to a battery plus store and look at the small deep cycle batteries they have.
Timdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

With a system that uses 6 volt batteries you can do it, however it would not be recommended, but will and I have seen it work. You would hook the 12 volt battery to 2 of the 6 volts in parallel, so basicly you would be giving 2 batteries a boost, which is why you really dont want to do this.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
With a system that uses 6 volt batteries you can do it, however it would not be recommended, but will and I have seen it work. You would hook the 12 volt battery to 2 of the 6 volts in parallel, so basicly you would be giving 2 batteries a boost, which is why you really dont want to do this.
Electricly this will work, but it will cause an imbalance in the pack and force the pack to need replacing earlier in it's lifespan than necessary. Not recommended.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Get a 20 amp voltage reducer to run your stereo and other 12v accessories down the road. It's the simplest way and works fine. If you ever decide to power something like a winch, then I would look at other options. Both the alarm and stereo take very little current. Lights would take the most of the three and are still handled well with the voltage reducer.

I run an 400 watt inverter, 12DC to 120AC for lights during Halloween, Christmas and other occasions and even at night with my cart lights on my reducer works fine delivering the needed amps to run everything!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
thiggins18
Not Yet Wild

What I want to also avoid other than getting stranded is what happens to my neighbors club car. She has a radio and when your at full acceleration the radio doesnt have enough power and it pretty much mutes the sound. I was under the impression this will happen to me also if I go down the route of a reducer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin