lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2008 Precedent Electric

Hey guys, new to the group.

I just bought a new cart and had a few questions. This will be used some for golf but mostly around the farm and running down the oil top roads to the neighbors. This cart is stock with no mods. I would like more speed and ground clearence. I think it is on the golf speed setting. If I take it to a dealer and they reprogram for "privite" setting, will I see much of a difference? I have also thought about a lift but 3" or 6" and what type? Will a lift and bigger tires put a strain on the OME motor?

Thanks,

Colby
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
ryan cassidy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 Precedent Electric

Colby - I'd call the guys at Plum Quick. I went through the same thought process myself and my local dealer wanted $125 to do the Speed program 4 upgrade. A new motor from Plum Quick is $225 and you should get at least if not a higher speed than what you'd get out of the Upgrade. In addition, you'll get more torque too.

If you don't have many hills etc I'd consider a rear end gear upgrade to like an 8:1 or something. You'll loose about 15-20% torque, but with the PQ motor that will net out and you should be pushing 28-30mph.

If you lift it, I'd consider going with one or the other, not both as that might be to instable at the higher speeds. I'm not sure as I don't currently plan on lifting mine. I'm doing both the motor upgrade and rear gear on my 07 this next week (just waiting on parts now)

Ryan
ryan cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you want to increase tire diameter and tire width you will need a corrosponding lift to give you the needed additional clearance which depends on added diameter of tires. A Jakes spindle lift of 3" would be a good pick that wont make your cart top heavy and should give you clearance for 20" tires or possibly larger? If you want go as high as a 6" lift I would go with Jakes Long Travel. Both are the best available in my opinion. I would check with Jakes about correct tire size for each of their lifts.
Any change from stock cart will put more of a load on motor and controls, so again the amount of change will depend on how much? Larger diameter tires will cut the torque developed by motor but increase speed slightly after getting up to speed. Changing gear ratio is a major job that many dont feel qualified to do without special tools required.
A motor change often requires changing solid state controller and related parts so it can be very expensive overall. Many late model owners do spend the money ( VARIES WITH DEALERS ) to have codes changed on controller to increase speed.
I would spend the time and compare costs of each way to achive what you want your cart to do?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Hey guys, new to the group.

I just bought a new cart and had a few questions. This will be used some for golf but mostly around the farm and running down the oil top roads to the neighbors. This cart is stock with no mods. I would like more speed and ground clearence. I think it is on the golf speed setting. If I take it to a dealer and they reprogram for "privite" setting, will I see much of a difference? I have also thought about a lift but 3" or 6" and what type? Will a lift and bigger tires put a strain on the OME motor?

Thanks,

Colby
Do a lift up to 6"
22" Tires
Plum Quick Purple Motor
Then your speed should be around 22-24mph with Code #3

If you also do Private Code #4 to the above you'll see speeds around 24-26mph constant without any controller changes. This is the setup I have current on my cart without a controller upgrade.

I would NOT do a gear change since the motor is not designed for additional torque, especially with already changing to larger diameter tires.

But the best advice is to contact PlumQuick and get their opinion of what you're wanting to do. By the way... there is something in the wind about doing an IQ to Series PQ conversion and getting speeds up to 40 mph. Ask them about that as well.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cant speak for Precedent models, but speed-4 setting on ds will get 19.8 to 19.9 on full charge on stock tires and rims. My wife has 4 inch lift with 22-11-10 tires on ds with 4-setting and will get 21.5 on flat ground but she also has a flip rear seat whereas I have a cargo basket. These speeds are per gps. Call Robby at PLUM QUICK and he can give you his figures and specs and they are good people to deal with. Hope this may help you out. Good Luck!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdane View Post
Cant speak for Precedent models, but speed-4 setting on ds will get 19.8 to 19.9 on full charge on stock tires and rims. My wife has 4 inch lift with 22-11-10 tires on ds with 4-setting and will get 21.5 on flat ground but she also has a flip rear seat whereas I have a cargo basket. These speeds are per gps. Call Robby at PLUM QUICK and he can give you his figures and specs and they are good people to deal with. Hope this may help you out. Good Luck!
Private Code 4 on a Precedent is rated at 19.6 mph so you're right there.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Private Code 4 on a Precedent is rated at 19.6 mph so you're right there.
It's the same exact system on a DS..... It's all based on RPM. The motor doesn't know what car it's on
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's the same exact system on a DS..... It's all based on RPM. The motor doesn't know what car it's on

Hey David :)

A Buddy of mine has 2 carts, a 2003 DS with Private code 4 and 22" tires and... I forgot the model but was a 2008 DS look-a-like with 4-12v batteries and came from the factory with larger tires but they won't allow him Private code 4 in that cart. Does that make sense? Can he swap his 2003 controller into the 2008 and vice-versa without any problems? I told him it should work but want to make sure since the years are 5 apart.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
osomanytoys
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

boy that sure would be nice to have the answer for that. by the way it is an 2008 XRT850E
osomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by osomanytoys View Post
boy that sure would be nice to have the answer for that. by the way it is an 2008 XRT850E
I thought it was an XRT but they looked different when I seached for them online. One more post and you should be able to PM TahoeDawg and ask him yourself!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car