lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 4 ga. cable upgrade questions

I have a 97 Club Car DS 48V that is used strictly on the golf course. I am replacing batteries since they are 6 years old and the cart will only make 9 holes now before running down.

Knowing that the cart is used strictly on the golf course, would there be any advantage to replacing just the battery cables with 4 ga. cables at this time or just go back with 6 ga. cables like came on the cart? I would like to get a little more speed, but dont have the money right now to replace either the motor or controller or both.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: 4 ga. cable upgrade questions

With the stock controller still being in the cart, and the rest of the cables other than the battery cables still being 6 gauge, I dont think you would feel any difference by installing 4 ga. on the battery cables. If you ever decide to upgrade at a later time the motor or controller, than at that time replace the whole cable set with 4 gauge which are readily available in complete sets for @ $125 or so.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it was 36V, I would say you could run 6g if you keep them tight and clean. Being 48V I would go ahead and upgrade now. We melt the terminals with 6g on a 36V cart if they are loose or oxidized at all. This is the first performance mod you do before all the others. When you replace batteries you should replace the cables also. Baby the new batteries and use the proper break in period, you should get good life out of your batteries....
I have not upgraded our 36V carts to 4g. It's not cost effective for 60 carts. It's about $50.00 per set to make them yourself. I have heard you notice the difference.??

Last edited by tonyton; 09-08-2009 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: ??
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
If it was 36V, I would say you could run 6g if you keep them tight and clean. Being 48V I would go ahead and upgrade now. We melt the terminals with 6g on a 36V cart if they are loose or oxidized at all. This is the first performance mod you do before all the others. When you replace batteries you should replace the cables also. Baby the new batteries and use the proper break in period, you should get good life out of your batteries....
I have not upgraded our 36V carts to 4g. It's not cost effective for 60 carts. It's about $50.00 per set to make them yourself. I have heard you notice the difference.
Oxidized lugs are not the question here and they will melt the terminals on 4 ga. or 6 ga. on 36V or 48V. He asked if there would be any performance advantage to using NEW 4 ga. over NEW 6 ga. The answer is no with a stock controller and stock wiring in the rest of the system right? Wouldn't you agree with that??
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If his cables are 12 years old, he WILL notice a difference going to 4g welding cable.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
If his cables are 12 years old, he WILL notice a difference going to 4g welding cable.
You think if we took a 12 yr. old cart, with a stock 275 Amp controller, stock 6 gauge wiring that runs fine...........and changed out the battery cables only to 4 gauge.....you would feel a difference??...Im sorry but I really dont think a difference would be felt....6 ga. cables can more than handle 275A and if thats all the controller needs/pushes....4 gauge cables will only act as a reservoir per say before the damm(controller)..hope that analogy makes senseit barely did for me Im wide open for comments or other opinioins(debate) on this. Am I wrong on this??
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
JRay
**** guzzler
Club Car

For a golf course cart, new batteries and new 6 gage battery cables and get on down the course. All it would need.
JRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I just meant that the old cables were probably robbing his potential. I know the originals on my cart were junk compared to what I installed. So, IF the cables are that old, then YES I would expect a power bump on a stock system.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry, I should have mentioned that cables were replaced about 6 months ago with a cheap set of 6 ga. cables. Told the dealer that is replacing batteries to go ahead and put a new set of cables on at same time he replaces batteries. Looks like there would be no advantage to putting on 4 ga. cables for just batteries.

Thanks for all your help. This is a GREAT forum!!!
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Oxidized lugs are not the question here and they will melt the terminals on 4 ga. or 6 ga. on 36V or 48V. He asked if there would be any performance advantage to using NEW 4 ga. over NEW 6 ga. The answer is no with a stock controller and stock wiring in the rest of the system right? Wouldn't you agree with that??
Oxidized lugs are very important for people to know about. The rest of what I said is opinion. If you are buying new cables for your cart, to go with your new batteries, should you buy 6g now and throw those out when you upgrade and need 4g?? NO
So no, I don't agree with you. I'm looking for long term benefit for the person spending money
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car