lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
khoff99
Not Yet Wild

Default Complete overhaul loosing my mind! 10V loss

I need some help guys, i've been on here before asking about high amp draws but here's my latest. I've redone a 92 ez-go w/a EMP high torque motor, new curtus 700 amp controller, h/d seloniod, h/d forward reverse switch, PB-6 pot box, 2/0 welding cable w/crimp ends, and my last draw was a full new set of trojan batteries. WTF would cause me to loose 10-12 amps from the battery to the motor? I upgraded from 36 to 48V and I have 50V across my pack, and 38V at my motor..... I'm about ready to shove the thing in the lake! It has amp draws of about 200 amp pulling a hill. I have about a 3V draw from the battery pack to the frame, but that's about it! HELP!
khoff99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Complete overhaul loosing my mind! 10V loss

Sounds like a controller wiring problem.
There is a great trouble shooting manual on the Curtis website http://curtisinst.com/index.cfm?fuse...egory&catID=11
If that checks out give EMP a call, they're great.
Electrical Motor Products, Inc. Phone: 1-877-455-1599
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
khoff99
Not Yet Wild

That's just it.... It seems to be wired right and Chuck has already sent me a second motor with the same result! It did the same thing when I had it at 36V, it would drop to 28V or so.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It appears to me to be a controller or wiring issue. I would drill down on the test procedures using Curtis' test procedures to see what you have going on. If your not getting full voltage back to your motor with the pedal pushed down, it could even be a pedal switch problem, something wired to chassis ground or even a bad controller. Page 27 in the 1204/1205 controller manual is a quick way to determine your issues.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
khoff99
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, i've went though those!! THAT'S WHY I"M LOOSING MY MIND!! lol, I have checked my pot switch and i'm getting a full 5K out of it. Do you know if I would hurt anything if I put a straight 48 to the motor? Just jump out the controller completely? This is the second controller as well. Do you think there could be a bad wire? I used old welding cable, but i don't think that it can go bad? When I used the drill down from curtis, it passed everything I had.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I'm out of constructive ideas. Maybe someone with more diagnostic skills can step up and offer some suggestions.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

If you have 50v going into controller and 50v coming out of controller but only 38v at motor it would seem the wire from controller to motor has a bad connection.
Check the voltages at each connection i.e. from pack(50v), to solenoid(50v), out of solenoid(50v), etc.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Nate
Gone Wild

Which wiring diagram are you looking at? Can you post the exact link? Tell me where your black and red meter leads are being placed.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
khoff99
Not Yet Wild

Ok guys, I have some new data! I tried again last night looking at the DC amp draw and Voltage. I have 38V in forward coming from S1 and A1 at the motor. When I put it in reverse and back up the hill, the meter starts out at 100+ volts and then drops to 42. I'm not sure if it has something to do w/the polarity when switched to reverse. I know it's physically impossible to have 100V but I just don't understand it? I have an autocad drawing that i've created for just this reason. I can e-mail a word file however it's kinda hard to read.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Does the cart run okay? Did you check your meter and replace the battery?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!