lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
snobles
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Complete Hunting/Farm Cart Overhaul-???'s

First time poster...lots of good info on here...so much that I'm confused. I have a 1986 club car (currently 36volt, series, resisters)...that I've converted to a hunting/farm cart. She's updated on the outside...now ready for a complete upgrade on the electrical (here comes the $$$ part...batteries, motor, controller, HD F&R, etc). Here's my situation...I need to roam 200 acres (so I need long battery run time) that's slightly hilly with a couple of creek crossings. I'd like to travel at slower speeds (10-15 mph due to bumpy roads and kids holding on) so I don't want to be at half throttle all the time and burn up the system. I have 6" lift with 22" tires. I'll be hauling guys, kids, guns, hogs, deer, corn and pulling a very small trailer from time to time.

A local cart place suggested a two-speed motor but I heard the high speed draw ruins the battery life. I don't want to do wheelies or 25 mph...just want a smooth ride while poking around that has a long pack run time and good torque.

Here's my questions:
-36 or 48 volt best for this application?
-Considering GE Beast motor(D395)-seems slow and torquey
-Alltrax 500amp or GE 500 amp controller-need programmable (not sure)?
-Will be updating throttle, selenoid, wires (#4 or #2 ga?), and F&R

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and insights!
snobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Complete Hunting/Farm Cart Overhaul-???'s

FIRST WELCOME TO THE FORUM.
If funds are short like most of us today there are some shortcuts that save alot until money gets back to normal ( IF EVER? ) By addition of lift, larger diameter tires, probably a rear seat, and possibly HD rear springs you have already gone way beyond the ability of standard golf cart. Lets face the fact a stock cart is made for 2 people, 2 golf club sets, and minor hills found on courses, and BRAKES according?
#1 If you have a good running 36 volt motor I would keep it as it handles 36 and 48 volts very well and 48 volts makes it into a powerful torque motor. Motor update can come later?
#2 if you have good fairly new 6 volt batterys for now you could add 2 more in golf bag area and wire in series making 48 volts, then later you can replace with 8 volt, or better yet complete new high amp rated 6 volt batterys to equal 48 volts.
#3 Again to save money go with a none programable Alltrax controller like NPX 4844 400 amp rated, or if you want to go to 500 amps you would need to go to a AXE4855 which is Programable 500 amps rated.
#4 with cart of your age you would need to use a Curtis PB-6 type speed control which will require some minor linkage adaptions. ( NOTE BE SURE AND MATCH CONTROLLER input WITH SPEED CONTROL AS CC USED BOTH 0-5K OHM input and 5-0K Ohms input depending on year and in your case PB-6 is only 0-5K unit ) ( Modern MCOR speed controls would be very hard to adapt to your pedal linkage )
#5 solenoid must be rated for HD amps ( 200 and UP ) and match pack voltage, and you will need to add correct pre-charge resistor and diode depending on solenoid and voltage used.
#6 All 6 guage cables need to be replaced with at least 4 guage multi stranded electric welding cable stock and soldered and crimped ends.
#7 F&R should have HD parts added to your unit if in good condition otherwise, along with conversion of F&R you will need either a HD unit with 3 micro switches on back for neutral, reverse alarm if you want one, and 1/2 speed reverse if you want it? Or addition as needed to your existing F&R unit with HD adapter bars.
As far as battery draw you would be best to use highest amp rated 6 volt batterys for torque, range and life. Examples Trojan T-105 is 225 amp hour rated, while largest that fits battery holders is T-125 is 240 amp hour rated. In Trojan 8 volt batterys T-860 is only 150 amps rated, and highest is T-890 is 190 amp hour rated.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can keep this pretty simple, upgrade in steps. Solid state first. 48volts later. I have some personal preferences on components. The conversion is fairly simple if you have any skills.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
snobles
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks OLD MEC and Scottyb for your comments! My plan is starting to come together thanks to you guys. When it comes to 36 vs 48...which has the longest pack runtime? The reason I ask is because I noticed the Trojan 6volt T-105's have significantly more amp hours than any of their 8 volt batteries? Does it equal out because 48 volt systems draw less amps than 36therefore the runtime would work out about the same?

Also, can I expect a much longer runtime on my current set of batteries when I convert to solid state from resistors? I'm assuming solid state should be much more efficient and make my current pack runtime longer?

Scottyb, you mentioned you have some personal opinions about components...please share.

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments!
Here's a link to some pics of my project:
http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x422/snobles83/
snobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A solid state drive system will make a big difference in your run time verses the resistor coil set up.
The longest run time is from the most amperage stored. Eight 6v T105 is the answer for long run times. While you do use slightly less amperage with the higher voltage I am not sure it is enough to make up the 30% less from 6/6v to 6/8v batteries. However 8/6v is 125 pounds more dead weight to carry around...... But lots more amps.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

As I showed in previous example 6 volts batterys in previous post T-105 or better yet T-125 totaling 48 volts will give you more power over a longer period of time, remember that any series system is only as good as its single amp hour rating not accumlative. EXAMPLE a 140 amp hour 8 volt battery has less discharge power regardless of how many in series than a 240 amp hour rated battery of 6 volts. Some look at total weight so lets consider weight by 48 volts total. A 6 volt T-105 battery weights 62 pounds= 496 total, while a T-125 weights 66 pounds= 528 pounds, 8 volt batterys T-860 weights 58 pounds=348 , T-890 weights 69 pounds= 414 total.
The conversion to solid state will give you a large difference in range and power, all depending on how good condition your resistor set up is now? While your doing conversion its easier to go 48 volts be done with work, and be able to start enjoying your cart?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunting cart
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car