lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
deerfly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48V battery question

What would you do with this situation? Tested batteries with floating balls hydrometer and got: 4-4-4-4,4-4-4-4,2-4-4-4,2-4-4-4,3-3-4-3,and 1-4-4-0.
All tested at least 8V with multimeter. All six tested about 50V. Obviously (to me) one battery is shot. Try to replace that one or what? I tried pouring in Battery Equaliser (1.75 oz) into all cells that didn't float 4 balls. It did help the one that now floats 3-3-4-3 but not the one with the dead cell.
Thanks for any suggestions.
deerfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48V battery question

Generally. I would say it is time for new batteries. Battery additives and such do not work well in the long run. The #2 cells are not good either. You have two gd. batteries. U can try a 12v charger on the weak ones to see if u can bring them back up with a hot charge (doubtful but worth a try) or....u can try to find 4 gd. used? OR take Roady's advice below Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

For the battery eqaulizer to work you will have to cycle the batteries several times. You just can't pour it in and expect it to work. I use this stuff and it works great. It doesn't tell you that on the bottle. It is a temp fix at best ....but I have one battery thats been going for a year now by using the battery equaliser. It was completely dead before I used it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
For the battery eqaulizer to work you will have to cycle the batteries several times. You just can't pour it in and expect it to work. I use this stuff and it works great. It doesn't tell you that on the bottle. It is a temp fix at best ....but I have one battery thats been going for a year now by using the battery equaliser. It was completely dead before I used it.
wow
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
deerfly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the suggestions. I did go through about four charging cycles but I knew up front that it doesn't do magic on a bad battery. I will try to bring up the weaker ones with a 12V charge. Like you say, it's worth a try.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
deerfly
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

12V charger cut out in less than a minute on all four questionable batteries.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

This battery that I have was a 12 volt battery. I let it boil on a high amp charge for about an hour. After that I was good to go.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car