lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
gatormeup
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default new battery question

just bought a set of new batts(feb 09) and was wondering do i need to charge them prior to use, or do i need to run them down a good bit before charging, or do you just go about using them in the normal manner?? thanks k
gatormeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new battery question

ALWAYS charge before use! Full charge may take some time on a new pack.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use a voltmeter and learn where 50% discharge is. Read the discharge chart in the stickies. It's your money, make it last
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
gatormeup
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

what do you mean 50% discharge, scotty? are you saying i need to run them at least 50% dead before charging? pg groove, i will charge completely before use, i have an timer charger, any idea on hjow many cycles i will have to do? thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormeup View Post
what do you mean 50% discharge, scotty? are you saying i need to run them at least 50% dead before charging? pg groove, i will charge completely before use, i have an timer charger, any idea on hjow many cycles i will have to do? thanks
Not 50% dead!!!? 50% empty ..... I am going to assume you have a 36v system. 100% charge is 38.20 volts. 50% = 36.31 volts A 36 volt pack is considered EMPTY at 50% drain or 36.31v. The pack should never be drawn down lower than this. Doing so can perminently damage and shorten the useable life of the batteries you just paid SO MUCH $$$ for. Do you have a voltmeter? I wouldn't draw them down below 60 - 70% for the first 10-12 cycles...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html
Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What model of charger do you have?
Most likely, just turn the timer to start and let it go until it shuts off. Most, NOT ALL, timer models will shut off automatically at full charge or 12 hours whichever comes first.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
gatormeup
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

mine has the turn dial(12 hrs) than also has an amp input meter i believe it is, thanks for the info, i charged them last night and will take a reading when i get home this afternoon with my fluke, will post results, thought that they could go less than 36 though, man i am learning alot, and yes i did pay some $$ that i didnt want to, but others were just gone, tried the 3 12 dep cycle for troubleshooting purps, then once i got it all rewired and running as it should, had to bite the bullet and buy 6 6's, also my boat was getting lonely without the batts and all so close to boating season!! thanks for all the help so far, keep the suggestions coming, also wanting to do a lift on it, its a 91, any suggestions!! thinking of building my own, may just be as simple to just but one.. any help is appreciated!! k
Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
gatormeup
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

checked the new ones, read 39.05, checked an older set in my other cart(have been run for a day or so) and they read 37.04....... guess both sets are ok?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
checked the new ones, read 39.05, checked an older set in my other cart(have been run for a day or so) and they read 37.04....... guess both sets are ok?

Assuming both are open circuit readings and the new set is a few hours off a full charge cycle then,

39.05v = OK
37.04v = charge immediately
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO