lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Honda gx620 wire rectifire wire ????

That is like an old outboard. The flywheel coil makes AC, the rectifier clips the positive power off and sends it on to the regulator (or battery for unregulated). I'm pretty sure it has to be grounded to work properly, but most bolt to the engine for a heat sink anyway. Many the rectifier and voltage regulator are in one unit, the rectifier itself is not that big the clones have about a 3/4" square one. You will see AC into it and DC out the other side, unregulated you will see DC go higher as rpm increase. Unregulated expect maybe 15v at top rpm and down to nearly battery voltage at idle. Regulated output will be around 13.5-13.8 anywhere above a fast idle, it might be lower under that (at or near idle) but should be more than battery voltage not running. It depends on how slow idle speed is. They don't charge much at low rpm. Battery alone not running usually around 12.5v maybe 12 if it is not charged that much. If you see AC from the flywheel then that coil should be working. You will see AC voltage climb with rpm. Note that any load will reduce voltage, regulated it may not change much unless you exceed how much it can produce. Best to turn off any lights/etc then test.
sho305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Okay , looks like I need to start over with my wiring. My switch is 3 pos 5 pole. Looking at the 24hp diagram ( assuming it is the same as 20hp) I need to get a 3 pos. 6 wire switch as I have read in another post. I only have three wires going to my switch now. Am I on the right track ?
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Jmz,

This is all I got,

Now I bought an old Harley switch for mine but was able to identify the posts to wire it per these diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briggsswitch.jpg (170.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg briggsvtwinwiring-1.jpg (154.6 KB, 5 views)
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am going to call Napa tomorrow and get a switch if it is not SKY high. I am going to wire it up using all 6 terminals like the diagram shows. My motor came off a pressure washer so I guess they did not need the charging circuit. I am not the smartest when it comes to wiring diagrams .
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
jeffrun
Gone Wild

If your motor is off pressure washer, you have a 3A charge system. The white wire you mentioned in the beginning of this thread goes to the starter motor where the + positive lead terminal is connected. that will trickle charge your battery if the charge coil and rectifier are ok. The switch you have is fine if it came with the motor. You need a 5 term, 3 pos magneto switch. The diagram you displayed is for a 20A system, so its different. I can send you a email with the 3A wiring diagram system if you want, let me know. Looks you need a seperate alternator for a 20-30a system. That motor will probaly have a tapered crankshaft.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #16
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Jeff my serial number tells me it is 20 amp and I have the big rectifier, I will check again after work today but I am pretty sure
Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
jeffrun
Gone Wild

that would be great if you have the 20a system. The voltage reg/rectifier unit is about 4" square, has a 6" electrical pigtail coming from it ,with a 6 pin connector. The 3a unit is 1.5" square, 2 gray wires in and 1 white out.

the 20a unit looks like the link below<

http://global.ebay.com/Honda-Rectifi...575801640/item
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It is a 20. R R looks exactly like the one I took off my suzuki vstrom . I replaced that one with a MOSFET rectifier.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wired it up like it is supposed to be except white/blue wire out of rectifier . Still no charge. Getting good ac volts out of stator . If I ground the w b wire or put 12v to it, nuthin . I am thinking rectifier.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Did you ground the unit to the engine when you tested?

Did you look for a manual of the engine might have a wiring diagram in it. I was told the honda 20A uses a different flywheel with more magnets in it as well as the coils/stator, so to swap to it on a clone involves significant funding for all the parts.
sho305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!