lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Default VC 625 dies when warm.

I have a 93 club car with a VC 625 engine. It starts up and runs like crazy for a couple minutes and then once it gets warm it dies and will not restart until it cools a bit. It seems to want to start but it just won't. The fuel line and filter still has fuel in it when this happens. I replaced the spark plug, which was pretty dark with carbon build up, but that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DieselPlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: VC 625 dies when warm.

Have you checked for spark when it won't start ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Technically no but I can her it "popping off" so to speak rather than just turning over so I guess I am just assuming it has spark. It got dark and mosquitoes came out so I went inside.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I going to say it again . These are SIMPLE engines with a magneto ignition and a really simple carb. That being said it is likely it is in the fuel system IF it has spark.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I going to say it again . These are SIMPLE engines with a magneto ignition and a really simple carb. That being said it is likely it is in the fuel system IF it has spark.
Not helpful, but thanks I guess

Old 08-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Does it run on starting fluid ?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
DieselPlower
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Does it run on starting fluid ?
I'm not sure. Don't have any. when it has been sitting cool for a while it starts up and runs like crazy for a short time until it gets warm then it shuts down. I can get some starting fluid Monday and try it out.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Ether/Starting Fluid isn't going to help you diagnose anything. An engine can fire on Ether without spark, it can ignite from compression only, without spark. Some will argue this only happens in diesels, but I can assure you, it can happen in a gas engine.

The proper way to check for spark is to get an ignition tester/spark plug tester. Using this tool will save you from burning up your ignition system components. The old school way was to remove the spark plug, hook it back up to the coil wire, lay it on the engine, and crank it over. This is not a good idea on modern engines, it will surely damage an ignition module.

I would remove the ignition coil and have it tested. You can look it up on YouTube how to check resistance of the coil, but you'll need to find the specs for that model coil/engine. If none are avail because it's made in china, just use a similar model coil specs, it will get you close.

If the problem is happening when it's warm, simply put the coil in your oven at home set to a super low temp like 180 degrees, just for a few minutes, then test the resistance. Coils definitely can act differently when they are hot vs cold, especially cheap china made units.

Unfortunately the VC engines are all made in China.....and you really don't want my opinion on Chinese cheap manufacturing standards. It's really hit or miss.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Also if an air cooled 4 stroke gasoline engine is not properly ventilated, it can run hot and the fuel can vaporize in the fuel lines and in the carb, and even in the intake. This can cause irregular running. It's called "Vaporlock". Cool fuel is key. Having a heat shield next to the fuel tank is a good thing. Having fuel lines wrapped or shielded is also a good thing. But proper ventilation is key.

Golf carts are designed to get air flow from underneath while driving. They are designed to start and stop and only run when moving, no idling. That's the way they are designed. Install a more powerful big block engine and let it sit and idle in the summer heat.....you'd be surprised how much hotter the engine gets vs stock engines.

I've seen 200 degree swings between summer idling and winter idling, as tested with a laser thermometer. Just the exhaust header itself will introduce massive amounts of heat while just sitting and idling.

Gasoline vapor lock can occur at 140 degrees and above, but usually when fuel line temps reach 200 degrees or more.

Just some things to consider.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Oh, and ether should only be used on non glow plug diesel engines....or engine damage can occur.

If you use it on a gasoline engine, just use a tiny tiny spray directly into the air filter and let it evaporate. DO NOT SPRAY RIGHT INTO THE CARB!!! I've seen pistons shoot through the oil pan from people spraying ether into a small engine. Not a good idea.

Better idea.....check spark first.

Then, use a spray bottle with fresh gasoline. Spray a tiny amount directly into the carb. Just a little bit, or you'll flood it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!