lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #1
pgilbert
Getting Wild
Club Car

Question High Idle Issue After Driving

Hi All,

I'm in the process of trying to tune my new VC 625 carb, but running into a consistent issue. Total novice at this, learned alot reading posts here, but i'm stumped and welcome any advice.

Issue: I start the warmed up engine and let it idle. I adjust the black plastic idle screw to bring it down to about 1100-1200 RPM. Idles great. After i take it out of the garage and give it a bit of gas, when I let off the pedal it idles right at 2000RPM. Only way i can get it down is if i restart the engine, or flick the choke on for a second.

I have the following installed:
  • Air screw
  • Adjustable main jet kit from ECcarb
  • Black pilot jet which came with the main jet

Screw settings:
  • Air screw is 1 1/2 open from close.
  • Main jet is 1 1/2 open from close.

The throttle is seated back against the screw, so it's not like its getting stuck open. If i turn the idle screw out, it takes a few turns, then the engine dies after a few seconds.

Wondering if this is caused by the pilot jet being too large? The one which came with my kit visually has a larger hole then the one which came with the carb. Is too much gas getting into the carb? When i restart after this issue, i get a loud backfire everytime.

I've read several posts which mention gas pouring out of the carb. I have not taken my air filter off, but am i experiencing symptoms related to this? I'm happy to add the gas overflow line if needed.

Thanks!

Gilby
pgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: High Idle Issue After Driving

Sounds like the butterfly is sticking. I took mine apart and deburred the edges and polished the shaft, and installed a stronger return spring. That did the trick for me.

With your jet settings, it sounds adjusted correctly.

What air filter are you using? I have found when using a K&N oiled filter the carbs run funny because they can suck in oil. I recently have found red oil in the throat of my carb. That can lean a fuel mix out and introduce oil into the fuel.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
pgilbert
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'll take it appart this evening and try the deburring/polish method. I assume using some 1000 grit sandpaper will do the trick.

The return spring is the one attached to the throttle arm assembly which pulls it back closed on the top of the engine, correct? I have a duromax 16hp sitting around i can canniblize from, maybe i'll add that one as well to it.

Air filter - i'm using that K&N one which comes with the VC 625. I'll run it a bit and wipe a white paper towel in the throat to see if there is any red residue.

I'll report back with the outcome. Thanks!

I do have two questions regarding two adjustable screws. The air screw, does that only factor in for the idle circuit? And the main jet screw, I would open that up some more if i'm backfiring when i lay on the pedal, correct?
Old 08-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=141306

Please read this - it will help you understand how to setup an adjustable carburetor.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
pgilbert
Getting Wild
Club Car

Okay, think I have it "good enough" for now.

Idles around 1400, but it sounds healthy. Can shift just fine, and it doesn't sputter too low to quit.

Acceleration is solid with some very slight backfires on deceleration. But, after fighting this thing for a few hours I'm just going to leave it as is.

On another note, I think I need to adjust my brakes a bit. Was backing up too fast and ended up going through my cedar privacy fence...couldn't stop fast enough. Hahaha!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilbert View Post
Cart is running awful. I'm at 1 1/2 for both the mixture and adj main jet screws. At the point now where when i try to start it, it will almost always backfire due to having to feather the pedal.

Plug looks like things are too rich still?

Picture: https://ibb.co/MCCY4bQ
Do you have pedal start? Are you making the adjustments with the engine running?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
pgilbert
Getting Wild
Club Car

Shepard - edited my post. Things are good for now. I appreciate you linking that write up, definitely helped zero things in.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I always set the mix then idle it lower, reset the mix and repeat until I get the low idle I want. Then I open the idle mix a little more and its all good. The main should not affect idle mix that is for like 10-20% throttle opening and more. Setting the idle mix a little rich will make it start in the morning without a choke in summer, and usually keeps it from backfiring when you let off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!